Square Profile FAQs
At Square, we are committed to the protection of individuals’ data and privacy rights, and we strive to help you comply with your own privacy obligations—including the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), which goes into effect on January 1, 2020.
You can read Square’s Buyer Privacy Notice to learn more.
What is the Square Profile?
The Square Profile is an online portal that will allow you to more easily view, export, and delete personal information you’ve shared with Square starting on January 1, 2020. This tool will allow you to exercise your choices regarding your data.
Why did we build the Square Profile?
At Square, your privacy is important to us and we work hard to protect your personal information.
We have created the Square Profile to give you more control over the personal information we collect when you transact with sellers who use Square to process your card payments (your sellers). For example, you can use the Square Profile to do things like opt out of receiving digital receipts or promotional communications from your sellers. You can also add, download or delete your contact information.
To learn more about the choices available to you, please see the Your Choices section of Square’s Privacy Notice. If you live in California, you have legal rights to manage your data. Learn more about them here.
What personal information am I able to manage in Square Profile?
When you transact with Your Sellers, we offer some features to you, which we refer to as our buyer features. These include:
- The ability to choose to receive digital receipts;
- Inclusion of your masked contact information in the directory of your sellers; and
- Email marketing and other communications from your sellers.
For example, after you complete a transaction at a Square seller, we offer you the option of receiving a digital receipt. If you choose this option, you can then choose to enter your contact information, which can then be used to send you a digital receipt for your purchase and any other future purchases you make with one of your sellers. When you select the option of receiving an emailed digital receipt and agree to also receive marketing from your sellers, who can use Square to send you communications, including promotional messages.
Through Square Profile, you are able to manage any personal information you have provided when using the buyer features, including the ability to add, download, or deletecontact information you provide when you sign up to receive digital receipts and email marketing from your sellers.
How do I log into Square Profile?
To access your Square profile:
- Navigate to profile.square.com.
- Enter your phone number or email address to receive a verification code.
- Enter your verification code to access your Square profile.
How do I manage my Square profile?
Within Square Profile, you are able to verify and add additional contact information, such as your email address, phone number and payment card to your profile, as well as delete your Square profile at any time.
To verify your information, navigate to the Complete your profile section of Square profile. To add information, select Add phone, email, or card.
To download your data, select Download my data.
To delete your Square profile and all data associated with the buyer features, navigate to the Delete your data section of Square profile. Note that once your Square profile data is deleted, the deletion is permanent. You will no longer receive communications at any verified email address or phone number.
If you would like your data deleted from individual Square sellers you have visited, please contact them directly.
How can I link a new phone number or email address to my payment card?
- Navigate to profile.square.com.
- Under Card Preferences you will be able to add or change your email address or phone number associated with your card.
Can I manage data I have provided to my sellers to participate in a Loyalty or SMS text marketing program in Square Profile?
No, the byer features do not include seller Loyalty programs or promotional text message programs that you have opted into individually with your sellers. If you have signed up for a Square seller’s Loyalty or text marketing program and you would like to change your preferences, text STOP to stop receiving promotional text messages from that seller or contact the seller directly.
What personal information does Square obtain about me when I use the buyer features?
When you use our buyer features, we collect your personal information in the following ways:
- Contact information you provide when you sign up for digital receipts and other seller communications: when you shop with one of Your Sellers and choose to receive a digital receipt and other communications from the Seller, we ask for you to fill in certain contact information, such as your email address or phone number.
- Information we obtain when you visit our Square Profile portal: when you use our Square Profile portal, we passively get certain information about your device, and how you browse or use our portal, such as your IP address, device characteristics, the web pages you click on, and the dates and times of your visits.
For more information about the types of personal information we collect about you when you use our buyer features, please see the Information We Collect section of our Privacy Notice.
How does Square use my personal information?
We collect and use your personal information so we can provide you with the buyer features and improve and develop our products and services. We also may use your information for other reasons, including to:
- Communicate with you about our buyer features;
- Show your masked information in the directory of your sellers;
- Advertise and market to you on behalf of your sellers or from Square;
- Conduct internal analytics (for example, to understand how customers engage with Square’s different products);
- Manage, develop, and improve our products and services; and
- Protect our services and maintain a trusted environment (for example, to detect and prevent fraud, to secure our services, and to ensure our services are not used unlawfully).
To learn more about how Square uses your personal information, please see the How We Use Your Information section of Square’s Privacy Notice.
Does Square share my personal information?
We share your personal information with:
- Your sellers: After you fill in your contact information to receive a digital receipt and other communications from the seller, we share your “masked” contact information with subsequent sellers you visit so they can send you digital receipts, and if you don’t opt out, marketing communications. For example, if your email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, a subsequent seller will only see a masked version, such as jo**@gm** in their Customer Directory. If your phone number is 415-555-0190, a seller will see --0190. This means once you’ve provided this information to your seller, subsequent sellers can send digital receipts to you and contact you through Square, but they will not see your full phone number or email address unless you first entered that contact information at their store.
- Our vendors that help us run our services; and
- Individuals whose information you or your seller provides to Square when you use your card to make a payment. For example, if you or your seller enters the email address for your family member when you make a payment, that family member may receive future automatic receipts and email marketing communications from your sellers. If you share a card account with a family member, the family member whose contact information was entered may also receive digital receipts linked to the card.
To learn more about how Square shares your personal information, please see the How We Share Your Information section of Square’s Privacy Notice.
Who can I contact for more information?
If you have additional questions, you can contact our privacy team at email@example.com with any questions or write to Square, Inc. 1455 Market Street, Suite 600 San Francisco, CA 94103, USA.