Set up Square Terminal
What’s In The Box
Let’s get your Square Terminal up and running. Start by taking a quick look at what’s in the box.
1. Remove the protective wrap.
Lift your Square Terminal out of the box and remove the plastic wrap.
2. Power Square Terminal On.
Your Square Terminal should come already charged and ready to use. Press and hold the power button on the left side of Square Terminal. To power the device on, you’ll need to hold the power button for 3 seconds.
Charge your Square Terminal
1. Plug the power adaptor into the port on the side of the Square Terminal.
2. Plug the power adaptor cable into the power adaptor.
3. Plug the other end of the power adaptor cable into a power outlet. If you aren’t using accessories, you’ll see an extra cable in the box that you do not need for charging.
Mount Square Terminal
While Square Terminal is portable, you do have the option to secure your Square Terminal to your counter or other surface. If you’d like to secure your Square Terminal, you can buy a mount on Square Shop or use Terminal with other commercially available camera mounts.
The 1/4” mount receptacle on the bottom of your Terminal is designed to fit with many widely available camera-style mounting accessories. Simply follow the mount’s instructions to secure it to your counter or another surface, then screw Terminal onto the mount using the receptacle on the bottom of Terminal.
Connect to Your Network
When you turn on Square Terminal for the first time, you will be asked to connect to a network. You can connect your Square Terminal to your network through either Wifi or Ethernet. Keep in mind, you won’t be able to connect your Square Terminal to a captive portal network. A captive portal is a network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection (these networks are common at coffee shops, airports, and other public internet access points).
To connect via Wifi:
- Follow the Get Started prompts on your device.
- Select Wifi and choose your network. Enter a password if necessary.
- Hit Next.
To connect your Square Terminal via an Ethernet cable, you’ll need to purchase Hub for Square Terminal.
To connect via Ethernet:
- Connect your ethernet cable to your Square Terminal.
- Plug the accessory hub into the port on the side of the Square Terminal.
- Plug the power adaptor cable into the power adaptor.
- Plug the other end of the power adaptor cable into a power outlet.
- Plug your Ethernet cable in the accessory hub.
Your Square Terminal will automatically connect to your network once the Ethernet is plugged into the accessory hub and the accessory hub is connected to power.
Load Receipt Paper
Your Square Terminal has a built-in printer. To print receipts on your Square Terminal, you’ll need to first load your paper:
- Open the printer door, located above the screen on the top of your Terminal.
- Unroll your new printer paper slightly, set it on the printer door with the unwound paper on top, and the loose end facing out of the Terminal, away from your screen.
- Ensure your paper follows the curve of the roll and it is not bent. Close your printer door and tear the excess paper towards the screen.
You’re all set! If you have correctly inserted your printer paper, you’ll be able to print your customer’s receipts. If your receipts don’t print, you may need to reorient the printer paper. You can test your receipt printer by heading to Settings > Device > Printer > Test Print.
Note: When tearing receipts for your customers, it’s best to tear the paper toward the bottom of Square Terminal. Pulling the paper away from the screen may cause the printer door to open.
Creating Your Account and Signing In
If you already have an existing Square Point of Sale account, simply sign-in to your account using either your email address or by creating a new device code in Dashboard. If not, you can create an account on your computer or on Terminal. When you create your account, you’ll be able to create items, set up taxes, and enable your employees.
Connect Recommended Accessories
Square Terminal makes it easy to connect compatible cash drawers, receipt printers, and barcode scanners. Learn more on how to connect recommended hardware to Square Terminal.
Help and Support
Need help? Contact our Support Team if you have any trouble setting up your new Square Terminal.