Coursing with Square for Restaurants
Coursing is a Square for Restaurants specific feature built to help you and your team manage the flow of checks — for both the front and back-of-house. Coursing is designed to easily group items, append additional items, and let the kitchen know when to hold or start firing dishes.
Coursing is an optional setting, so you’ll need to toggle on “Enable Course Management” when creating your Device Settings. Once you’ve enabled Coursing in your Device Settings, you can start adding courses to your checks.
To add a course:
- Log in to your Square for Restaurants POS.
- Choose the table that you’d like to create a check for or click New Check from the check management screen and choose your table.
- Tap Add Course on the bottom right corner.
- Add all applicable items to the course.
- To add an additional course, simply tap Add Course again and follow the same steps to add items.
- The first course is always set to Fire by default, and all subsequent courses are set to Hold. You can alter whether a course should be held or fired by tapping the red Fire or blue Hold on the right end of the course line.
- Once you are ready to send your check to the kitchen, hit Send in the bottom right corner.
If you are holding items in a check, you can fire them anytime by re-entering the check and tapping Hold. Once the button says Fire, you can click Send and a “fire” ticket will be sent to the kitchen.
If you need to edit a course, you can either edit or remove the whole course, or edit the course by course line.
Straight Fire Categories
While you can manually send items and courses to the kitchen to fire, you can also automatically send items in specific categories to your kitchen or bar when you enable the Straight Fire Categories setting for your points of sale.
- Head to your Square Dashboard > select Devices > Points of Sale from the navigation bar.
- Click Service Settings > Straight Fire Categories.
- Select the applicable categories. Items in the selected categories will not be included as a course to either hold or fire since they’ll be sent straight away to the back-of-house.
Read more about setting up your points of sale with Square for Restaurants. Check out the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.