Get Started with Square for Restaurants
Square for Restaurants is our built-from-scratch platform designed specifically for restaurants. Whether you have a full service or a grab and go, Square for Restaurants is built for your front-of-house, back of house, and office. Check out the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.
Sign Up and Get Started with Restaurants
- Sign Up: If you’re ready to get started, the first step is to sign up for your free 30-day trial. If you’re just getting started with Square, you’ll need to create a new account. If you already have an existing account, click Sign in with your Square account.
- Learn About Pricing: Your Square for Restaurants subscription price is based on the number of active locations and devices.
Download the Restaurants App: The Restaurants app is an all-in-one restaurant solution. You can manage tables, checks, and team members. Square for Restaurants Free is available on both iPad and Square Register, but Square for Restaurants Plus features are only available on iPads at this time.
Sign In to Square for Restaurants on Square Register:
To get started for the first time with Square for Restaurants on Square Register, simply sign in using your email and password or create a Restaurant device code from your online Square Dashboard. Then, sign in by tapping Device Code in the top corner of the Register screen. Then you can start taking payments.
If this is your first time using the Square Register and you’ve already completed setup, make sure to check for an update by tapping Utilities > Settings > General > About Register > Software Update. You must be on version 3.34 or higher to log into Square for Restaurants.
Note: Square Register checks for an update every 15 minutes. If you don’t see one right away and your current version is lower than 3.34, make sure your device is connected to the internet and wait several more minutes for an update to appear.
If you have already been accepting payments on Square Register using Square Point of Sale, simply sign out of each device. Next, sign in using your email and password and select Square for Restaurants. You can also create a Restaurants device code from your online Square Dashboard to sign in, and start taking payments.
- Create Device Codes: Customize your point of sale settings and sign into the Restaurants app. Enable Shared Settings if you have multiple points of sale at your restaurant. The process for signing into the Restaurants app is a little different from the Square Point of Sale app; rather than using your email address and password to sign in, you’ll need to create a device code.
Download or print our Square for Restaurants Setup Guide.
If you’ve already created a Square account, upgrading to Square for Restaurants is simple. When you subscribe, all of your existing account information will be available with Square for Restaurants — including your items, customers, team members, and bank account information.
Review the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.
Also, take a look at our Restaurants Article Library to make sure you’re getting the most out of your Square for Restaurants subscription.
Next, you can create menus for each location and service — add drinks, appetizers, entrees, item categories, and inventory counts.
- Create Items: Create a detailed menu with appetizers, drinks, and dishes for each service.
- Manage and Track Items: Learn how to track your inventory, 86 items, and view inventory history.
- Create Modifiers and Categories: Create item categories and modifiers to keep your order tickets, customer receipts, and sales reports detailed and organized.
- Set Up Menus: Create multiple menus, tailored for each service and location. Start setting up your menus.
Set Up Team Members
Create profiles for each team member at your restaurant.
- Set Up Team Members: Limit permissions, track hours, and tips. Start setting up team members.
- Quick Tips: Printable POS Guides: Print out quick reference guides for your team members.
Once you download the Square for Restaurants app and receive your hardware, you can start setting up your restaurant’s kitchen and server stations.
- Hardware Compatibility by Device: Make sure you’re connecting compatible hardware. Square for Restaurants is available and compatible with both iPad and Square Register.
- Set Up Your Hardware with Square for Restaurants: Configure your hardware from the app.
- Connect Recommended Hardware to Square Stand: If you’re using the Square Stand, learn how to connect hardware with the plug-and-play USB port.
Table and Floor Management
After you’ve set up your Square for Restaurants account, you’re ready to start seating tables and accepting payments.
- Build Your Floor Plan: Map out your restaurant and customize the Restaurants app by creating a floor plan from your online Square Dashboard.
- Accept Payments with Square for Restaurants: Process payments, split checks, accept tips, and finalize checks.
- Check Management: View check actions — including how to move, assign, or void checks from the Restaurants app.
- Coursing with Square for Restaurants: Set up multiple courses and choose to hold, fire, or create straight fire item categories.
Once you get started, you’ll be able to manage incoming orders from the Restaurants app or your online Square Dashboard. If you’re using multiple ordering platforms, rather than setting up each one separately, you can use Chowly to aggregate orders for multiple partners, all in one place.
To get started, just head to the Orders tab of your online Square Dashboard.
End of Day and Reporting
With Square for Restaurants, you’ll have access to a suite of reporting tools.
- Customize Your Closing Procedures: Customizing your closing procedures is the best way to ensure your team members complete all of the necessary steps before ending their shifts or closing the restaurant.
- Square for Restaurants Reports: Access in-app and online reports for a detailed breakdown of item and team member sales.
- End of Day Reports: Run shift, close of day, and cash drawer reports to close your restaurant.
- Tip Out Team Members: Tip out team members’ credit card tips from an open cash drawer, learn about using Square Payroll, or calculate tip pooling.