Get Started with Square for Restaurants
Square for Restaurants is our built-from-scratch platform designed specifically for restaurants. Whether you have a full service or a grab and go, Square for Restaurants is built for your front of house, back of house and office.
Check out the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.
Sign Up and Get Started with Restaurants
- Download the Restaurants App: The Restaurants app is an all-in-one restaurant solution. You can manage tables, bills and team members. Note: The Square for Restaurants app is only available for iPad.
- Create Device Codes: Customise your point of sale settings and sign in to the Restaurants app. Enable Shared Settings if you have multiple points of sale at your restaurant. The process for signing in to the Restaurants app is a little different from the Square Point of Sale app; rather than using your email address and password to sign in, you’ll need to create a device code.
If you’ve already created a Square account, upgrading to Square for Restaurants is simple. When you subscribe, all of your existing account information will be available with Square for Restaurants – including your items, customers, team members and bank account information.
Review the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.
Next, you can create menus for each location and service – add drinks, starters, mains, item categories and inventory counts.
- Create Items: Create a detailed menu with starters, drinks and dishes for each service.
- Manage and Track Items: Learn how to track your inventory, edit item availability and view inventory history.
- Create Modifiers and Categories: Create item categories and modifiers to keep your order tickets, customer receipts and sales reports detailed and organised.
- Set Up Menus: Create multiple menus, tailored for each service and location. Start setting up your menus.
Set Up Team Members
Create profiles for each team member at your restaurant.
- Set Up Team Members: Limit team permissions, assign passcodes, track hours. Start setting up team members.
Once you download the Square for Restaurants app and receive your hardware, you can start setting up your restaurant’s kitchen and server stations.
- Hardware Compatibility by Device: Make sure you’re connecting compatible hardware. Keep in mind, the Square for Restaurants app is only available for iPad at this time.
- Connect Recommended Hardware to Square Stand: If you’re using the Square Stand, learn how to connect hardware with the plug-and-play USB ports.
Table and Floor Management
After you’ve set up your Square for Restaurants account, you’re ready to start seating tables and accepting payments.
- Build Your Floor Plan: Map out your restaurant and customise the Restaurants app by creating a floor plan from your online Square Dashboard.
- Bill Management: View bill actions – including how to move, assign or void bills from the Restaurants app.
- Coursing with Square for Restaurants: Set up multiple courses and choose to hold, fire or create straight fire item categories.
The Square Online Store powered by Weebly enables you to design your own website where customers can place online orders for pickup and shipping.
Once you get started, you’ll be able to manage incoming orders from the Restaurants app or your online Square Dashboard. To get started, just head to the Orders tab of your online Square Dashboard.
End of Day and Reporting
With Square for Restaurants, you’ll have access to a suite of reporting tools.
- Customise Your Closing Procedures: Customising your closing procedures is the best way to ensure your team members complete all of the necessary steps before ending their shifts or closing the restaurant.
- Square for Restaurants Reports: Access in-app and online reports for a detailed breakdown of item and team member sales.
- End of Day Reports: Run team member shift, close of day and cash drawer reports from the Restaurants app to close your restaurant.
- Tip Out Team Members: (If applicable to your business) Tip out team members credit card tips from an open cash drawer, or calculate tip pooling.