Square’s standard processing fee of 2.75% per transaction applies to all card payment types – chip cards, contactless, and magstripe.
The contactless and chip reader connects to your device via Bluetooth LE, so it’s compatible with a wide range of devices – even ones that don’t have a headphone jack.
|New to Square? Watch our free, two-part education series to learn everything you need to know.|
|Seller Community: “Frictionless payment is one of our key strategies moving forward. We have a rather small entrance building and it can get quite congested on busy days. Anything that speeds up transaction times is a welcome addition!” - JJGard|
Accept EMV Chip Cards
Watch this video to learn how to accept chip cards with the contactless and chip reader:
Insert a Chip Card
When your customer is ready to checkout:
- Make sure your reader is connected with your device.
- Open the Square app, add items to your current sale, and then tap Charge. You can tap Charge before or after the chip card is inserted.
- Insert the chip card (chip-side first with the front of the card facing up) into the wide port on the top of your reader.
- Leave the card in the reader until the reader beeps and shows 4 green lights, which means you can remove the card
Swipe a Chip Card
You can also complete a sale by swiping a chip card using the magstripe reader or Square Stand. This feature comes in handy during peak business hours, when you need to process sales quickly, as swiped transactions process faster than inserted EMV chip card transactions. A deli, for example, may turn on this feature during lunch hours to make sure customers can quickly move through the line.
To swipe chip cards:
- Visit your in-app Settings by tapping this icon:
- Under Checkout Options, tap Swipe Chip Cards and toggle it on.
- Review the liability warning on the screen and agree to the terms to continue.
Liability Warning: By swiping chip cards and choosing not to insert them into the EMV card slot of your Square contactless and chip reader, you understand that you’re liable for any possible EMV card fraud. Square’s Chargeback Protection doesn’t apply to swiped chip cards. When enabled, this feature applies to all registers connected to a location.
4. Use the magstripe reader or connected Square Stand to swipe the chip card.
Note: You can toggle this feature off/on at anytime.
Accept Contactless (NFC) Payments
Watch this video to learn how to accept contactless payments:
You can accept the following contactless payment options: Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and contactless cards.
When you’re ready to ring up your customer:
- Make sure your reader is connected to your device.
- From the Square app, add items to your current sale, and then tap Charge to prepare the reader for the payment.
- When you see one green light on the reader, it’s ready to take your customer’s payment. Ask your customer to hold their device over the reader to complete the sale.
Note: If you don’t see a green light, tap “Re-enable Apple Pay and Contactless” from the app.
When you see four green lights and hear a beep the payment has successfully completed.
Accept Magstripe Cards
To accept magstripe-only cards, use the included magstripe reader. Insert the reader into the headphone jack of your iOS or Android device and swipe the card. Learn how to swipe card payments with the Square reader in our Support Center.
For more information, review Square Contactless + Chip Reader Frequently Asked Questions.