With every successful payment, you can provide customers with a digital receipt (text message or email) or a printed receipt.
Send Digital Receipts
- Authorise the payment by tapping, inserting or swiping your customer’s card or recording another form of tender on the payment screen.
- Ask your customer to enter their phone number or email address on the receipt screen.
- Tap Send.
If your customer entered an email address to receive a receipt from a Square merchant in the past, their email address will be saved to that payment card, so all you need to do is tap Send.
If a customer doesn’t receive a text message receipt, one or more of the following may have occurred:
- The customer doesn’t have a valid text messaging plan.
- The customer’s phone carrier has blocked the text.
- The customer has a restricted phone number.
In these cases, you can always resend the receipt to a valid email address with your customer’s consent.
Resend Digital Receipts
You can resend a receipt to a different email address or phone number at any time from your online Square Dashboard or from the Square Point of Sale app.
From the Square App
- Tap the following icon in the navigation bar:
- Tap Transactions.
- Locate and tap the payment > Issue Receipt.
From Your Online Square Dashboard
- Visit Transactions.
- Use the date selector tool to locate a specific payment.
- Click on the payment > Send Receipt.
Note: Resending a receipt won’t affect a customer’s receipt settings.
With the Square app on any supported device, you can print order tickets for your kitchen, order ticket stubs and customer receipts. Learn more about connecting printers to iPhones, iPads, and Android Devices.
Use the steps below to print a receipt with the app:
- Authorise the transaction by tapping, inserting or swiping your customer’s card or recording another form of tender on the payment screen.
- If you have Order Tickets turned on, you’ll be prompted to enter a customer name or order number, or the ticket number will be automatically assigned.
- Tap Print Receipt.
Reprint a Customer Receipt
- From the Square app, tap the following icon in the navigation bar:
- Tap Transactions.
- Locate and tap the payment you’d like to reprint.
- Tap Send Receipt > Print Receipt.
Note: At this time, order tickets can’t be reprinted.
Receipt Best Practices
- Make sure you don't send your customers’ receipts to yourself. You’ll receive a payment confirmation after every successful transaction, and you can view payment details from your online Square Dashboard.
- If the email address entered for receipt delivery is no longer active or is incorrect, Square will need to unlink this information from your customer’s payment card. Ask your customer to contact us for help.
- Receipts must be printed on a compatible receipt paper size.
- You must connect a receipt printer to the Square app to print numbered customer stubs.
- Your logo will appear on printed receipts. Learn about other customisation options for printed receipts.
- To edit a receipt destination at the time of sale, ask your customer to tap the phone number or email address on the receipt screen and input their new information.