To sign up for Square’s online payroll services in the District of Columbia, you must be registered with the DC Office of Tax and Revenue and the DC Department of Employment Services so we can pay and file your state taxes.
|Agency||Required Tax Information||Format|
|DC Office of Tax and Revenue||DC Withholding Account Number||300000000000 (12 digits)|
|DC Department of Employment Services||DC UI Account Number||000 000 (6 digits)|
|DC Total Contribution Rate||X.XX%|
District of Columbia Tax Account Numbers
District of Columbia Withholding Account Number
- If you are a new business, register online with the DC Office of Tax and Revenue.
- If you already have a DC Withholding Account Number, you can look this up online or on on correspondence from the DC Office of Tax and Revenue. If you’re unsure, contact the agency at 202-727-4829.
District of Columbia UI Account Number
- If you are a new business, register online to retrieve your UI Account Number.
- If you already have a DC UI Account Number, you can either look it up online or find it on the Contribution Rate Notice mailed by the DC Department of Employment Services. If you’re unsure, contact the agency at 202-724-7000.
District of Columbia Tax Rates
- The DC Total Contribution Rate is a combination of your DC UI Contribution Rate and the DC Administrative Assessment Rate (which is the same for all businesses).
- DC UI Contribution Rate for most new employers is 2.70%. Look this up online or find it on the Contribution Rate Notice mailed by the DC Department of Employment Services.
- If you’re unsure, contact the DC Department of Employment Services at 202-724-7000 or by email at UITax.Info@dc.gov.
Add Square Payroll as Your Unemployment Insurance (UI) Tax Administrator
In order to file and pay your DC unemployment insurance taxes, Square Payroll needs to be authorized as your Third Party Administrator (TPA). The process can be completed online through the DC Employer Self-Service Portal. To complete this process you will need the following:
- A copy of your signed DC Power of Attorney form which can be download from the Tax Forms tab of your Square Payroll dashboard.
- Square Payroll’s DOES Account Number: DC5S4W
- Roles to assign to Square Payroll:
- Account Maintenance
- Payment Submissions
- Wage Reporting
Note: We will send you an email with further instructions when it’s time to work on this. You can also watch this video for step-by-step guidance.
District of Columbia Payroll Tax Details
Square Payroll processes the following per the frequency below to the listed state agencies:
|DC Office of Tax and Revenue||Withholding Tax Payment||After Every Pay Run|
|Quarterly Return Wage Reporting (FR900Q)||Quarterly||Wage and Tax Statement (W-2)||Annually|
|DC Department of Employment Services||Employer's Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (DC UC-30)||Quarterly|
|DC Directory of New Hires||New Hire Report||As Needed|