Set Up Your Team with Square for Retail
Included with your Square for Retail Plus monthly subscription cost is full access to Team Management. Team Management allows you to create team member profiles for multiple locations and limit the actions your team can take from both the Retail app and online Square Dashboard.
Note: Team Plus is not included with Square for Retail Free. If needed, you can still use Team Management’s free plan with Square for Retail Free, or Team Plus for $35 per month, per location. Learn more about the differences between Square for Retail Free and Square for Retail Plus.
Create a New Team Member Profile
- From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Team Member.
- Enter the member’s name and personal information > Save.
- Under Compensation, select whether this team member is exempt from overtime. This is only necessary if you are tracking timecards with Square. Assign or create a job title and enter their wage.
- To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, clock in/out using the Square app, and/or access the online Square Dashboard, click Enable Permissions and select or create a permission set from the dropdown menu.
- To allow your team member to sign into the Square app and clock in/out using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
- If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in. This will send the team member an email inviting them to create a password for their account.
- If a team member has been given access to both the Square app and online Square Dashboard, they’ll need a Personal Passcode and an email address they’ll use to sign in.
- Once finished, click Save.
If applicable, this team member will be invited via email to create their own login for accessing online Square Dashboard and/or the Square Point of Sale app on their personal device. Team members will also have the option to download the [Square Team app](https://squareup.com/help/article/7059 to clock in/out, view their hours worked via timecards, view their pay for the week, and view/edit their team profile — all from their own iPhones or Android devices, at no additional charge.
Team members can be given point of sale permissions, can track their time, and can power labor reports.
Create a New Team Permission Set
- Sign in to the Team section of your online Square Dashboard > Permissions.
- Click Create Permission Set > enter a permission set name (e.g. Cashier, Manager, Delivery Driver).
- Check the box for every permission you would like to give a team member access to.
- Click Continue > Select where you would like to give the team member access:
- Shared Points of Sale: Allow this employee to access your Point of Sale using a 4-digit passcode (e.g. multiple employees sharing the same point of sale).
- Mobile Point of Sale: Allow this employee to sign in to the Square app using their own email and password on their own device. (e.g. employees taking payments on the go).
- Dashboard: Allow this employee to sign in to your online Square Dashboard using their own email and password.
- Click Save.
Once created, any team member can be assigned to this permission set from their profile.
Keep in mind, not every permission displayed in the permissions list will be applicable to Square for Retail.
Check out the table below with some of the most common team permissions we’ve seen retail businesses use.
|View All Completed Sales Transactions For All Team Members||ON||OFF|
|Apply Restricted Discounts and Comps to a Transaction||ON||OFF|
|Configure Checkout Settings||ON||OFF|
|Items - For All Locations||OFF||OFF|
|Manually Adjust Taxes During a Transaction||ON||OFF|
|Full Invoices Access||ON||OFF|
|View, Edit, Create, and Delete Customer Directory Data||ON||OFF|
|Update Customer Loyalty Status||ON||OFF|
|Transfer Funds Using Instant Transfer||ON||OFF|
|View All Sales Reporting and Transactions on Dashboard||ON||ON|
Once you’ve set up your Team Members and Permission Sets, you can track their time worked using Square’s Time Card Management. To enable Time Card Management, make sure to head to your online Square Dashboard to enable on your device settings.