Included with your Square for Retail monthly subscription cost is full access to Employee Management. Employee Management allows you to create employee profiles for multiple locations and limit the actions your employees can take from both the Retail app and online Square Dashboard.
To get started and create and an employee:
- From the Employee List in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Employee.
- Enter the employee’s name and personal information.
- To allow your employee to log in to the Retail app to accept payments, toggle on Permissions and select or create a role from the dropdown menu. Make sure to assign your employees to role with passcode access. You can double check or update a permission group to allow passcode access by clicking Edit Role next to the permission group name.
- Click Generate to create a passcode at random, or enter in a passcode manually.
- Lastly, if your employee’s role allows them to access Dashboard, enter the email address they will use to log in.
If you are new to Employee Management and you’d like to read more, check out our getting started guide.
Employees can be given point of sale permissions, can track their time, and can power labor reports.
If you need to create a permission group for your employees:
- Log in to your Square Dashboard and select Employees from the navigation pane.
- Tap Permissions and select Create Role.
- Enter in a name for your role, such as “Manager” or “Cashier.”
- Select all of the appropriate permissions for each role you create.
- Tap Save.
Keep in mind, not every permission displayed in the permissions list will be applicable to Square for Retail.
Check out the table below with some of the most common employee permissions we’ve seen retail businesses use.
|Access Sales Activity||ON||OFF|
|Apply Restricted Discounts||ON||OFF|
|Change Settings: Offline Payments, Instant Deposit, etc||ON||OFF|
|Edit Items, Taxes, and Manage Inventory||OFF||OFF|
|Edit Taxes in a Sale||ON||OFF|
|Manage and Create Invoices||ON||OFF|
|Update Customer Loyalty Status||ON||OFF|
|Use Instant Deposit||ON||OFF|
Once you’ve set up your Employees and Permissions, you can track their time worked using Square’s Time Card Management. To enable Time Card Management, make sure to head to your online Square Dashboard to enable on your device settings.