New Mexico Employer Tax Information
To sign up for Square’s online payroll services in New Mexico, you must be registered with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department and the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions so we can pay and file your state taxes.
|Agency||Required Tax Information||Format|
|New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department||New Mexico CRS Identification Number||00-000000-00-0 (11 digits)|
|New Mexico Filing Frequency||Monthly, Quarterly, or Semi-Annually|
|New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions||New Mexico Unemployment Insurance Account Number||0000000000 (10 digits)|
|New Mexico Total Tax Rate||X.X%|
New Mexico Tax Account Numbers
New Mexico CRS Identification Number and Filing Frequency
- If you are a new business, register online with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department to retrieve your CRS Identification Number and filing frequency. Your filing frequency refers to the frequency at which you need to make withholding tax payments to the agency.
- If you are already registered with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department,, you can find your CRS Identification Number and filing frequency online or on correspondence from the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department. For additional assistance, you can contact the agency at 505-827-0832 or TRD-CRSHelpDesk@state.nm.us.
New Mexico Unemployment Insurance Account Number and Tax Rates
- If you are a new business, register online with the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions for your UI Account Number and tax rates. The New Mexico Total Tax Rate is the sum of your Contribution Rate and Excess Claims Rate.
- If you already have a New Mexico UI Account Number and assigned tax rate, you can look these up online or find them on the Notice of Employer Contribution Rate mailed by the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions. If you have been assigned a 6-digit UI account number, please add two zeros to the beginning of your account number.
- For additional assistance, please contact the agency at 877-664-6984 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adding Square Payroll as your Unemployment Insurance (UI) Third Party Administrator
In order to file and pay your New Mexico unemployment insurance taxes, Square Payroll needs to be authorized as your Third Party Administrator (TPA).
Please follow these instructions from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions to authorize Square Payroll.
The whole process can be completed online and you will need the following information:
- Square Payroll’s New Mexico UI TPA ID: 500002438
- Roles to assign to Square Payroll:
- Account Maintenance Update and Submit
- Payment Update and Submission
- Employment and Wage Detail Submission and Update
Please note that you will need to unauthorize any previous agents/payroll providers who had the above roles.
How to Find New Mexico Reporting Unit Numbers
New Mexico employers must assign a Reporting Unit Number to each employee when adding them to Square Payroll. This is required because the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions requires us to include each employee’s Reporting Unit Number in the unemployment insurance (UI) tax filing (Form ES-903A) due each quarter.
You can find all active Reporting Unit Numbers for your business online:
- Log in to New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions website.
- Click Account Maintenance.
- Click Maintain Employer Reporting Units.
- On the next page, you will see a list of Active Reporting Units. If you only have 1 Reporting Unit Number for your entire company, you should use that Reporting Unit Number for all your employees.
If you’re unable to locate this, please contact the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions directly at 877-664-6984.
New Mexico Payroll Tax Details
Square Payroll processes the following per the frequency below to the listed state agencies:
|Taxation and Revenue Department||Withholding Tax Payment||After Every Pay Run|
|Withholding Tax Filing||Monthly|
|Workers' Compensation Administration||Workers' Compensation Fee Form (WC-1)||Quarterly|
|Department of Workforce Solutions||Unemployment Insurance Tax Payment||Quarterly|
|Employer's Quarterly Wage and Contribution Report (ES-903A)||Quarterly|
|New Hires Directory||New Hire Report||As Needed|