Filter and view invoices by status from your online Square Dashboard and the Square Point of Sale app.
Sent: Unpaid, Overdue, Paid, Refunded, Cancelled, and Failed invoices.
Outstanding: Unpaid, Overdue, Undelivered invoices.
Paid: All invoices that are Paid or Refunded (or partially refunded).
Scheduled: Includes the next Recurring invoice instances that have not been sent, as well as normal Scheduled invoices.
Drafts: Drafted invoices that have yet to be Sent or Scheduled.
Filters for Recurring Invoices include:
Active: Active recurring series with scheduled invoices.
Ended: Recurring series with all scheduled invoices sent, or a series that has been manually ended.
Drafts: Drafted recurring invoices that have yet to be Sent or Scheduled.
Print and Share Invoices
Share an invoice (either online or by printing it) by following the steps below:
- Visit Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > create a new invoice.
- In the Payment drop-down, select Share Invoice Manually > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice > click Create.
- Click Share Link to share the invoice with your customer(s) via email, text message, or any social media channel.
- Click More > Print to save the invoice as as PDF or print it for your customer.
Note: Printing an invoice isn’t available on mobile browsers at this time.
Resend, Edit, or Cancel Invoices
- Navigate to Invoices in your Square Dashboard.
- Click on the desired invoice.
- Click Edit to update the invoice details.
Cancel an Invoice
To cancel an invoice, select the invoice and click More > Cancel > Confirm Cancellation.
To cancel a recurring series, select the invoice and click View Series > End Series > Confirm.
If an invoice has already been paid, you can’t cancel or delete it from your payment history, but you can issue a refund to balance your books.
Note: For your protection, Square can occasionally cancel an invoice if there have been too many failed attempts to pay it. You may duplicate the canceled invoice and send it to your customer again. Please verify your customer’s identity since the transactions have been declined by the card issuer, not Square. Learn more about potential scams and how to accept payment cards safely.
Mark as Paid
If you receive payment for an invoice outside of Square Invoices, you can mark the invoice as paid from your dashboard. To do so, select the invoice > More > Mark as Paid. No fees are applied to an invoice when it’s marked as paid.
If your customer wants to pay their invoice in person, you can accept payment right through your Square Point of Sale. Learn how to accept payments for your invoices through the Square Point of Sale app.
Employee Management and Square Invoices
If you’re using Square’s Employee Management features, you can also give your employees access to creating invoices online. To do so, make sure the following permissions are enabled for each role:
- Dashboard Access is toggled on
- Manage and Create Invoices is checked
- Manage Customers is checked