Filter and view invoices by status from your online Square Dashboard and the Square Point of Sale app.
Sent: Unpaid, Overdue, Paid, Refunded, Cancelled, and Failed invoices.
Outstanding: Unpaid, Overdue, Undelivered invoices.
Paid: All invoices that are Paid or Refunded (or partially refunded).
Scheduled: Includes the next Recurring invoice instances that have not been sent, as well as normal Scheduled invoices.
Drafts: Drafted invoices that have yet to be Sent or Scheduled.
Filters for Recurring Invoices include:
Active: Active recurring series with scheduled invoices.
Ended: Recurring series with all scheduled invoices sent, or a series that has been manually ended.
Drafts: Drafted recurring invoices that have yet to be Sent or Scheduled.
Print and Share Invoices
Share an invoice (either online or by printing it) by following the steps below:
- Visit Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > create a new invoice.
- In the Payment drop-down, select Share Invoice Manually > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice > click Create.
- Click Share Link to share the invoice with your customer(s) via email, text message, or any social media channel.
- Click More > Print to save the invoice as as PDF or print it for your customer.
Note: Printing an invoice isn’t available on mobile browsers at this time.
Configure Your Invoice Settings
You can configure the default settings and notifications settings for your Square Invoices from your online Square Dashboard.
Customize your invoices to include details such as your customer’s company and address, return policy, and invoice title. You can also configure your notifications to help you manage your inbox more efficiently.
Edit Your Default Settings
You can change the following default settings for new invoices directly from your online Square Dashboard:
- Invoice Title: Set a shared title between all your invoices.
- Message: Add a default message that will appear on your invoices.
- Invoice Method: Select between sending your invoices by email or sharing them manually.
- Send: Choose a default frequency to send your invoices.
- Due: Select when the invoice will be due (upon receipt, or in a certain amount of days).
- Reminders: You will be able to schedule payment reminders for your invoices. Select Edit Reminders to modify reminder frequency and create new reminders. Note: Once an invoice has been paid, reminders will no longer be sent.
- Shipping Address: Check the box to request a shipping address in your invoices.
- Tipping: Check this box to give your customers the option to add a tip when paying for the invoice.
- Card on File: If selected, customers will have the option to save their payment card when paying the invoice. If they do so, you will have the option to charge future invoices to the saved card instead of sending the invoice for payment.
You can also configure the following from the Settings page:
- Invoice Customization: Change your company’s logo, brand color, and business information from the Account & Settings tab of your online Square Dashboard.
- Inventory Management: Enable inventory management for invoices in the Items Settings tab of your online Square Dashboard.
- Employee Management: Customize your employees’ permissions and access to creating invoices from the Employee Management section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Get Free Processing: Whenever someone new joins Square with your referral code, you both will receive the reward offer. Toggle on Show referral banner on invoice email so your referral link will be added to your future Square Invoices receipts automatically. Learn more about Square’s Referral Program.
Note: These settings can be overridden on individual invoices.
To edit your default settings:
- Visit Invoices in your online Square Dashboard and click Settings.
- Select Defaults and make any changes you’d like. Note: If you have multiple locations, select the correct one at the top of the page.
- Click Save.
Edit Your Notification Settings
With Square Invoices, you are able to choose if you want to receive a notification every time an invoice is sent, updated, paid, or canceled, as well as when an invoice reminder is sent.
You can change your notification preferences directly from your online Square Dashboard.
To do so:
- Visit the Invoices tab of your online Square Dashboard and click Settings.
- Select Notifications and make any changes you’d like.
- Click Save.
Note: All settings modified from your online Square Dashboard will also be reflected in your mobile devices.
Resend, Edit, or Cancel Invoices
- Navigate to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click on the desired invoice.
- Click Edit to update the invoice details.
Cancel an Invoice
To cancel an invoice, select the invoice and click More > Cancel > Confirm Cancellation.
To cancel a recurring series, select the invoice and click View Series > End Series > Confirm.
If an invoice has already been paid, you can’t cancel or delete it from your payment history, but you can issue a refund to balance your books.
Note: For your protection, Square can occasionally cancel an invoice if there have been too many failed attempts to pay it. You may duplicate the canceled invoice and send it to your customer again. Please verify your customer’s identity since the transactions have been declined by the card issuer, not Square. Learn more about potential scams and how to accept payment cards safely.
If you receive payment for an invoice outside of Square Invoices, you can mark the invoice as paid from your dashboard. To do so, select the invoice > and from the details page, click Record Payment. No processing fees are applied when an invoice is recorded.
If your customer wants to pay their invoice in person, you can accept payment right through your Square Point of Sale. Learn how to accept payments for your invoices through the Square Point of Sale app.
Employee Management and Square Invoices
If you’re using Square’s Employee Management features, you can also give your employees access to creating invoices online. To do so, make sure the following permissions are enabled for each role:
- Dashboard Access is toggled on.
- Manage and Create Invoices is checked.
- Manage Customers is checked.