Square Payroll generates and files Form W-2 for each of your employees at year-end. We will mail Form W-2 to the mailing address provided for each of your employees. In addition, these forms will be available in Tax Forms in the Payroll section of your Square Dashboard. Although we file W-2s on your behalf, you and your employees are responsible for confirming and ensuring the information in the W-2s is accurate.
1. Download Your Square Payroll W-2s
To access your W-2s:
- Visit Tax Forms in the Payroll section of your Square Dashboard.
- Click the blue link ending in “W2.zip” to download a .zip file of your W-2s.
- Extract the W-2s from the downloaded .zip file (read below for instructions on doing so on a Mac or Windows computer).
Extract Your W-2s From a .zip File on a Mac
On most Mac computers, you will find the .zip file containing your W-2s in your Downloads folder. To access the file, you can either open the Downloads folder directly or search in your finder for “W2.zip”. Once you locate the .zip file, double click on it. Your computer will automatically extract the data from the .zip file, creating a folder which contains PDF copies of your W-2s.
Extract Your W-2s From a .zip File on Windows
The steps for extracting your .zip file depend on which version of Windows you are running. To locate the file, search for “W2.zip” or look for the file in the Downloads folder of My Computer. Follow the links for .zip extraction instructions on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows XP.
2. Verify your Square Payroll W-2 Data
You and your employees are responsible for ensuring that the information on Form W-2 is correct. Please review them for accuracy. Avoid these common errors: incorrect or misspelled names, incorrect SSN, using nicknames or shortened names, titles before or after the name, and name changes not reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can learn more about Form W-2 information verification by visiting the SSA website.
If you see anything on your Form W-2 that needs correcting, please contact us.
Reviewing and Understanding Form W-2
We know that Form W-2 can be a bit daunting to read. Below is additional information on the fields in Form W-2 that should be reviewed.
- Box a: Employee Social Security Number (SSN)
- Box b: Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Box c: Employer name, address, and zip code
- Box e: Employee name
- Box f: Employee mailing address
- Box 1: Wages, tips, and other compensation — Total calendar year taxable wages, tips, and other compensation paid to the employee
- Box 2: Federal Income Tax Withheld — Total calendar year federal income tax withheld from employee wages
- Box 3: Social Security Wages — Total calendar year employee wages subject to employee social security tax, not including social security tips
- Box 4: Social Security Tax Withheld — Total calendar year employee social security tax withheld, including social security tax on tips
- Box 5: Medicare Wages and Tips — Total calendar year employee wages and tips subject to Medicare tax
- Box 6: Medicare Tax Withheld — Total calendar year employee Medicare tax withheld
- Box 7: Social Security Tips — Total calendar year employee tips reported
- Box 14: State Disability Insurance — calendar year SDI tax withheld
- Box 15: State Employer Identification Number
- Box 16: State, wages, tips, etc. — Total calendar year state taxable wages, tips, and other compensation paid to the employee
3. Distribute Square Payroll Form W-2
Square Payroll will mail Form W-2 to each of your employees. Instructions are included with the form.
Note: We will not resend Form W-2 if an employee does not receive it (due to invalid address or other reasons).
- If your employee has an invalid mailing address and your business has a valid mailing address, their Form W-2 will be returned to your business. You are then responsible for providing them with their copy of Form W-2.
- If your employee has an invalid mailing address and your business has an invalid mailing address, you are responsible for downloading your Square Payroll W-2s and providing them to your employees.
If you or your employee notices anything on Form W-2 that is inaccurate, please contact us.