When you invite friends to join Square, you both benefit from rewards, including credits on processing fees up to $1,000 in sales over the next 180 days (6 months). As an existing seller referring someone to Square, you’ll also have the option to take advantage of $20 off a Square Contactless + Chip Reader.
How to Refer Friends
Share Your Referral Link
- From the Account & Settings section of your online Square Dashboard, click Get Free Processing.
- Share your unique free processing link through Twitter, or Facebook, or simply copy and paste the link in any status or email you like.
New sellers must activate their Square account using your referral link in order for a referral reward to be issued.
Customize Your Referral Link
Create a custom referral link that’s easy to remember and on-brand with your business.
To do so:
- Visit the Account & Settings section of your online Square Dashboard > Get Free Processing.
- Click Customize, located to the right of your referral code.
- Enter a custom 10-character code. Note: Your custom code must be 10 characters.
- Click Save.
Note: Creating a custom referral link will invalidate any previous links associated with your account. Make sure to update and share the new custom link going forward.
Add Your Referral Link to Your Receipts and Invoices
Add Your Referral Link to Your Receipts
If you work with other business owners, consider helping them get started with Square with free processing. Adding a referral link to your receipts means your clients will be able to join Square and get referral benefits using the referral code in your receipt.
- From the Account & Settings section of your online Square Dashboard, click Receipt.
- Check the box next to Show referral link.
- Click Save.
Note: Each person you refer must be new to Square and must activate through your unique link for you both to receive the reward offer.
Add Your Referral Link to Your Invoices
- From the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard, click Settings.
- Under Get Free Processing, toggle Show referral banner on invoice email on.
- When a customer uses your link to activate a Square account, you’ll both receive free processing on up to $1,000 in sales over the next 180 days.
View Current Rewards & Offers
You can see which rewards are available in the the Get Free Processing section of your online Square Dashboard.
Rewards for referring new sellers include:
- Free Processing: Receive free processing on up to $1000 in sales over the next 180 days on all card transactions.
- $20 off Square Contactless + Chip Reader: Receive a discount on Square’s most advanced reader when you purchase from Square’s Hardware Shop.
Note: if you refer more than one friend, you will not be able to combine your $20 off redemption code for the Square Contactless + Chip Reader. You will only be able to apply one discount code per order.
Here you’ll also find any other rewards or processing credits you might earn through Square.
Select Your Reward
After a business you refer creates a Square account using your referral code, we’ll notify you to select a reward. Look out for the notification via email, in your Square Point of Sale app, or in your Square Dashboard.
To select your reward:
- Sign in to the Get Free Processing section of your online Square Dashboard.
- If you have an available reward, click Redeem Now from the Current Offers section.
- Select which type of reward you’d like to redeem. If you choose the discount code for a Contactless + Chip Reader, you can save it for a future purchase before the expiration date or shop for hardware by clicking Use Now.
Note: If a reward is not selected 30 days after a new seller activates their account using your referral code, credit on processing fees up to $1,000 in sales will be automatically granted.
Use Your Free Processing
After each payment, we’ll automatically credit your Square balance for the transaction fee, and the reimbursements will be grouped with your next deposit. Learn more about our deposit schedule options.
Once you process $1,000 of payments or 180 calendar days has passed (whichever occurs first), you’ll be automatically charged your usual per-transaction fee going forward.
Confirm Reimbursed Processing Fees
To view your free processing reimbursements, visit Deposits in your online Square Dashboard and use the date-selector tool to choose a date range of deposits. Select a deposit from the list to view your free processing credits included in that deposit.
You can also view your reimbursements by downloading the Deposits spreadsheet from the same Deposits tab. Your free processing reimbursements will populate beneath the associated transactions.
Learn more about navigating your Deposits page and exporting your deposit history.
If you process a refund, Square will first look to your Square balance to cover the refund, including any associated fee reimbursements. If there are insufficient funds in your Square balance, Square will debit your linked bank account. The full sale amount is always returned to your customer, and Square returns any associated reimbursement to your free processing balance.
Processing fees are reimbursed to your account on each deposit. After an offer has been fully redeemed or expired, your standard pricing will apply. If you’ve selected to receive $20 off a new Contactless + Chip Reader, you’ll receive your code once the referred business activates a Square Account.