If your customer or a payment card isn’t present, you can manually enter your customers’ card information without the Square Reader on a supported mobile device, accept a payment online, or send an invoice from your online Square Dashboard or mobile device.
Note: You are unable to manually enter payments while in Offline Mode.
|New to Square? Watch our free, two-part education series to learn everything you need to know.|
How Much Does Square Charge for Manual Entry?
For manually entered transactions, Square’s fee is 3.5% + 15¢ per transaction. Learn more about Square’s fees.
|Seller Community: Ask question, get answers, and read more about manually entered payment fees.|
Steps to Manually Enter Payments From Your App
To accept payments with the Square app without a reader:
- Ring up a transaction by adding items or entering custom amounts using the keypad.
- Tap Charge to process the payment.
- Tap Manual Card Entry > enter the card number, expiration date, security code, and the customer’s billing ZIP code. Note: If the card numbers turn red when entering them, confirm the card details with your customer.
- Tap Charge.
- If you have signatures enabled, have your customer sign with their finger. If you’re using an Android device, you’ll skip the signature screen entirely. Your customer can also leave a tip if this feature is enabled. You can write Phone or Internet Order in place of a signature when your customer is unavailable to sign. If you want to cancel the payment, tap the X in the upper-left corner.
- After the customer taps Done Signing, they can enter their preferred receipt delivery method.
- You’ll see a final screen that reads All Done after the payment completes.
Tap New Sale to take another payment.
Take a Payment with Virtual Terminal
You can process payments from your computer with Virtual Terminal:
- Log into your online Square Dashboard.
- Navigate to Virtual Terminal > Take a Payment.
- Enter the payment details provided by your customer.
- Click Charge.
Once you see Payment Successful, you are all set and you can view your payment in your Dashboard Sales Report.
Learn more about accepting payments with Virtual Terminal.
Required Information for Manual Entry
We require all of the following information for transactions entered manually:
- Complete card number
- Expiration date
- Security code/CVV
- Billing ZIP code
You can also learn more about how merchants protect themselves from fraud and chargebacks with safety tips for manually entered transactions.