Manually Enter Card Payments Without The Square Reader
If your customer or a payment card isn’t present, you can manually enter your customers’ card details to process payments with Square.
Steps to Manually Enter Payments From Your App
To accept payments on a supported device using Square Point of Sale without a reader:
- Select the menu icon in the navigation bar > Settings > Payment Types.
- Toggle on Manual Credit Card Entry.
- Ring up a transaction by adding items or entering custom amounts using the keypad.
- Tap Charge to process the payment.
- Tap Manual Card Entry > enter the card number, expiry date and security code.
- Tap Charge.
- If you want to cancel the payment, tap the X in the upper-left corner to return to the previous screen.
Tap New Sale to take another payment.
Note: Change the quantity, add a description or remove an item by tapping it in your current sale.
Take a Payment with Virtual Terminal
You can process payments from your computer with Virtual Terminal:
To manually enter a payment using a computer:
- Log into your online Square Dashboard using a supported browser.
- Navigate to Virtual Terminal > Take a Payment.
- Select Quick Charge to charge your customer a single dollar amount or Itemised Sale to add an item, modifier, discount, and tax to the sale.
- Add an optional note to the sale.
- Under Payment Method, select Manually Enter Card.
- Enter the card details provided by your customer.
- Click Charge.
Once you see Payment Successful, you are all set and you can view your payment in your Dashboard Sales Report.
Required Information for Manual Entry
We require all of the following details for transactions entered manually:
- Complete card number
- Expiration date
- Security code/CVV
Note: At this time, eftpos cards can't be manually entered due to restrictions placed on the cards by the eftpos network.