Request payment for goods or services with Square Invoices from your online Square Dashboard or from the Square Point of Sale app using a supported mobile device. You can create and send invoices, create a recurring invoice series, and schedule invoice deliveries.
Note: Make sure to follow best practices for Square Invoices.
|Seller Community: When to Use Invoices vs. Virtual Terminal vs. Card Not Present.|
Square Invoices Fees
You can send an unlimited number of invoices for a fee of 2.9% + 0.30 cents. Fees are applied at the time an invoice is paid by your customer with their credit or debit card.
If you’re using Card on File to save and charge customer payment cards, you’ll pay a slightly higher fee of 3.5% + 0.15 cents when a stored card is used to pay an invoice. The higher fee for Card on File transactions is due to a greater risk involved with these payments, as neither the payment card nor the cardholder have to be present for the payment to occur.
Create Invoices Online
- Navigate to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > Create Invoice.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to 9 recipients.
- Add an optional Invoice Title and edit the Invoice ID to match your records.
- Add a personal message. If you would like to use the same message for all of your invoices, select Save as default message.
- Under Invoice Method, select whether you’d like to email your customer this invoice or manually share the invoice link. If your customer has a card on file, you’ll have the option to select it from this menu.
- Select the Frequency for this invoice. It can be sent as a One-Time or Recurring invoice. If you’re creating a recurring invoice series, select start and end dates, along with frequency and due dates.
- Select items, then apply modifiers, notes, and taxes by clicking Customize.
- Add any applicable discounts:
Click Send if you’re sending a one-time invoice or Schedule if you’re creating a recurring invoice series. If you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop-down list below Invoice Method > select a date to charge the card > Schedule or Charge if sending immediately.
Note: Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later, or to keep it as a template to duplicate and send anytime.
When you send an invoice for payment, each recipient has the option to pay the invoice with any accepted payment card. Both you and your customer will receive a confirmation email once an invoice is paid with a card on file or by your customer.
To pay invoices with Square, your customer will follow the steps below:
Add Attachments to Invoices
You can add an attachment, like a contract or images, directly to your Square Invoice, so your customer will have all of the purchase information in one place.
When creating an invoice, click Add Attachments to upload documents or images from your computer.
Note: Image files and PDFs can be uploaded with a combined file size limit of 25MB with a maximum of 10 files. You can upload file types PDF, PNG, and JPG.
- Add additional attachments one at a time or remove uploaded attachments by clicking X.
- Continue creating the invoice then Send or Schedule.
Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later.
Do not use this feature to upload any Personal Health Information, illegal content, or content in violation of Square’s Terms of Service. Content you upload may be reviewed and used by Square in connection with contesting a chargeback.
Add Automatic Reminders to Invoices
Enable automatic reminders for your customers when an invoice due date is approaching or past due.
- During the invoice creation process, scroll to More Options > check Schedule payment reminders for this invoice. By default, a reminder will be automatically sent 1 and 3 days after the due date.
- To set custom reminders, click Edit Reminders.
- Edit the two default options and/or click Add Reminder to add another option.
Learn more about Square Invoices notification settings.
Create a Recurring Invoice Series
If you need to set up recurring payments with your customers, you can do so with Square Invoices.
To get started:
- Go to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Recurring > Create Recurring Series.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to nine recipients.
- If the customer already has a payment card(s) saved to their directory profile, choose the card to be charged from the Invoice Method dropdown. If you’d like to let your customer opt in for Automatic Payments using Card on File, toggle Allow Automatic Payments on. This gives your customer the option to securely save their payment card on file and be charged automatically for each invoice within the recurring series. Your customer’s card will be automatically charged according to the series’ schedule.
- Select the start date, the recurrence frequency, and the end date.
- Fill out the rest of the invoice, including any discounts.
- Check the boxes under More Options, if applicable.
- Click Schedule or Charge if sending immediately.
If you scheduled a recurring payment for a future date with the Card on File feature, your customer’s card will be automatically charged at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected.
Keep in mind, if the Card on File is changed and the customer has a recurring invoice, you will need to edit that invoice series to ensure the right card is being charged.
Schedule an Invoice
If you’d like to schedule a single invoice to be sent at a future date, follow steps 1-4 in the section Create Invoices Online, then use the steps below:
- Select Send Invoice by Email.
- In the Send field, choose a date the invoice will be sent > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice and select Schedule or Save as Draft.
Note: If you select Save as Draft, your scheduled invoice will not be automatically sent, and you’ll need to select Schedule to determine when it will be delivered.
Scheduled invoices will be automatically sent to your customer at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected. You’ll receive a notification email once the invoice is paid, and funds will be deposited to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule.
Note: There isn’t a way to customize the time an invoice is sent.
Request Customer’s Shipping Address
When you send an invoice through your online Square Dashboard, you can opt to collect your customer’s shipping address.
To do so, under More Options on the invoice details page, select Request Shipping Address.
When your customer receives their invoice, below the payment fields, they’ll see the option to enter their preferred shipping address. Once they submit, you can view their address along with the invoice payment information.
Save a Payment Card for Invoice Payments
With Card on File, you can save customer payment cards to your Customer Directory, immediately process invoice payments, and get paid faster. Saving a card on file comes in handy when using recurring invoices or sending multiple invoices to the same customer.
There are a few ways to save a customer’s payment card:
From your online Square Dashboard:
- Visit the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Create or select an existing customer profile.
- Click the three-dotted actions menu on the bottom-right > Add Card.
- Enter the card details, select a location where this card can be charged, and print and file a Customer Authorization form. Note: the Authorization Form does not have a field for CVV for security purposes. The CVV is securely stored within your customer’s profile and not visible once saved.
- Click Confirm.
From your Square Point of Sale app:
- Tap Customers in the navigation menu > All Customers.
- Create or select an existing customer profile.
- Tap Edit Personal Information > Add Card.
- Swipe, insert, or key-in a card number > Next.
- Enter the customer’s email address so they can be notified when their card is charged > Next.
- Enter the card’s billing zip code > Authorize.
When creating a new invoice:
- When creating an invoice in the Square Dashboard or Square app, scroll to More Options.
- Check or toggle Allow Customer to save a card on file.
- When paying the invoice, your customer will be given the option to save their card details for future invoices and purchases.