Request payment for goods or services with Square Invoices from your online Square Dashboard or from a supported mobile device. From your Dashboard, you can create and send invoices, create recurring invoice series, and schedule invoice deliveries.
Note: When using Square Invoices, make sure to follow our best practices guide.
|Seller Community: When to Use Invoices vs. Virtual Terminal vs. Card Not Present.|
What are Square’s Invoice Fees?
You can send an unlimited number of invoices for a fee of 2.9% + 30 cents. Fees are applied at the time an invoice is paid by your customer with their credit or debit card.
If you’re using Card on File to save customer payment cards, you’ll pay a slightly higher fee of 3.5% + 15 cents when a stored card is used to pay an invoice.
Create Invoices Online
- Navigate to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > click Create Invoice.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to 9 recipients.
- You can add an optional Invoice Title and edit the Invoice ID to match your records.
- Add a personal message. If you would like to use the same message for all of your invoices, select Save as default message.
- Under Invoice Method, select whether you’d like to email your customer this invoice or manually share the invoice link.
- Select when you’d like to send your invoice and a due date.
- Select items and apply modifiers, notes, and taxes by clicking Customize.
- Add any applicable discounts:
- To add a discount to the entire invoice, click Add Discount.
- To add a discount to a specific item, click Customize next to the item. Note: Only existing, fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to an item.
Click Send. Or, if you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop down list below Payment > select a date to charge the card > Charge.
Note: Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later, or to keep it as a template to duplicate and send anytime.
When you send an invoice for payment, each recipient has the option to pay with any supported payment card. Both you and your customer will receive a confirmation email once an invoice is paid with a card on file or by your customer.
To pay invoices with Square, your customer will follow the steps below:
Add Attachments to Invoices
When creating an invoice, click Add Attachments to upload documents or images from your computer.
Note: Image files and PDFs can be uploaded with a total file size limit of 10MB with a maximum of 10 files.
- You may add additional attachments one at a time or remove uploaded attachments by clicking X.
- Click Send. Or, if you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop down list below Payment > select a date to charge the card > Charge.
Note: File attachment isn’t currently supported for recurring Invoice series.
Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later.
Do not use this feature to upload any Personal Health Information, illegal content, or content in violation of Square’s Terms of Service. Content you upload may be reviewed and used by Square in connection with contesting a chargeback.
Create a Recurring Invoice Series
If you need to set up recurring payments with your customers, you can do so with Square Invoices. To do so:
- From Invoices, click Recurring in the top-right corner of your Dashboard > Create Recurring Series.
- Select a customer from your directory, or enter a new name and email address.
- If the customer has multiple payment cards, select one to be charged for the recurring payments. If the customer only has one payment card saved to their directory profile, that card will be charged. If a customer doesn’t have a payment card on file, select Send Invoice for Payment. Your customer will have the opportunity to save their payment card on file if you check the box next to “Allow customer to save their card”.
- Select the start date, the recurrence frequency, and the end date
- Fill out the remainder of your invoice.
- Click Schedule.
If you set up a recurring payment with the Card on File feature, your customer’s card will be automatically charged at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected.
Keep in mind, if the Card on File is changed and the customer has a recurring invoice, you will need to edit that invoice series to ensure the right card is being charged.
Note: Only one recipient can be used for a recurring invoice. Additionally, you’re unable to edit the recipient email address once an invoice series has been created.
Schedule an Invoice
If you’d like to schedule a single invoice to be sent at a future date, follow steps 1-4 in the section Create Invoices Online, then use the steps below:
- Select Send Invoice by Email.
- In the Send field, choose a date the invoice will be sent > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice and select Schedule or “Save as Draft.”
Note: If you select “Save as Draft,” your scheduled invoice will not be automatically sent, and you’ll need to select Schedule to determine when it will be delivered.
Scheduled invoices will be automatically sent to your customer at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected. You’ll receive a notification email once the invoice is paid, and funds will be deposited to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule.
Request Customer’s Shipping Address
When you send an invoice through your online Square Dashboard, you can opt to collect your customer’s shipping address.
To do so, under More Options on the invoice details page, select Request Shipping Address.
When your customer receives their invoice, below the payment fields, they’ll see the option to enter their preferred shipping address. Once they submit, you can view their address along with the invoice payment information.
Save a Payment Card for Invoice Payments
With Card on File, save customer payment cards to your Customer Directory, immediately process invoice payments, and get paid faster. Saving a card on file comes in handy when using recurring invoices or sending multiple invoices to the same customer.
There are two ways to save a customer’s payment card:
- From your online Customer Directory
- Creating a new invoice and checking “Allow Customer to save their card.”
Charge a Card on File for an Invoice Payment
When you create a Square Invoice, you can select a card on file to charge.