Use Open Tickets with Square
With Open Tickets, you can create, save and edit an order before completing the sale on your mobile device.
Note: If you swipe a customer’s credit card to create a new open ticket, the card will not be charged at that time and their payment information will not be stored within the app. If it’s available, only the cardholder’s name will be associated to the new open ticket. You can override the cardholder name at any time by updating the ticket name.
Turn On Open Tickets
- From the Square app, tap the following icon in the navigation bar:
- Tap Settings > Open Tickets.
- Tap Open Tickets and toggle the feature on.
If you use multiple devices with a single Square account, you can access any open ticket from any logged-in device.
Note: If you’re using Square’s Employee Management features on an iPad, learn how to manage employee permissions for Open Tickets.
Create and Manage Open Tickets
Create a new ticket before a sale
- Tap the keypad icon > Tickets.
- Tap New Ticket or swipe the customer’s payment card.
- Add items or custom amounts to the ticket.
- Tap Save.
Create a new ticket during a sale
- Add items or custom amounts to the sale > tap Save.
- Tap New Ticket or swipe the customer’s payment card to create a new ticket.
- Enter the ticket information > tap Save.
Edit or Delete an open ticket
- Tap Tickets > locate and tap the ticket you’d like to update.
- Tap the arrow next to the ticket name > Edit Ticket > make your updates.
- Tap Save, or tap Delete > Confirm Delete.
Note: If you’re using a kitchen ticket printer, a new order ticket will print when new items are added to an open ticket.
Split Open Tickets on Tablets
If a party needs separate checks, you can split an open ticket on an iPad or Android tablet and charge customers individually. To split a ticket:
- Tap Tickets > select a ticket to open.
- Tap the arrow in the top-right corner next to the ticket name > Split Ticket.
- Tap the item(s) you’d like to move to a new ticket > Split New Ticket. Repeat this for each new ticket.
- Tap Save at the bottom of each ticket, or Save All at the top-right corner.
Merge Open Tickets on iPads
Merge multiple tickets to one master open ticket on an iPad. To do so:
- Tap Tickets.
- Locate and tap a ticket name from the list.
- Tap the down arrow next to the ticket name > Merge Ticket.
- Select the ticket(s) to merge with > Merge.
- Select the master ticket that will display all the merged items.
- Tap Merge.
Note:If Employee Management is turned on, the master ticket owner will receive credit for the sale once the ticket is closed and the customer’s payment has been processed.
Print and Close an Open Ticket
When your customer is ready to pay, locate their open ticket and close the sale.
- Tap Tickets > tap your customer’s ticket to add it to the current sale.
- If you’re using a supported receipt printer and have “Receipts and Bills” toggled on, you can print your customer’s ticket before settling the payment. To do so, tap the ticket name > Print Bill.
- Tap Charge > select a payment method > complete the sale.
Once an open ticket is closed, the completed payment can be viewed from your in-app payment activity or your online Square Dashboard, and funds will be sent following your deposit schedule. Learn more about viewing your payment history.
Note:Payment card information isn’t stored within the app and won’t appear on printed receipts. You’ll need to close an open ticket and charge your customer when they’re ready to pay.
Reprint Order Ticket
To reprint an order from your open tickets:
- Select Tickets.
- Tap Edit.
- Select ticket to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.