Use Open Tickets with Square
With Open Tickets, you can create, edit and save an order before completing a sale on your mobile device.
Turn On Open Tickets
From the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen, tap More.
Tap Add-ons > Open Tickets > Add to Point of Sale.
If you use multiple devices with a single Square account, you can access any open ticket from any logged-in device.
To turn on open bills for Square for Restaurants:
From your Square Dashboard, go to Devices > Point of Sale.
Select the device you want to enable open bills for.
In the Open Bills & Floor Plans section, toggle on Use Open Bills.
Note: Tickets open longer than 180 days will be removed from your account.
Create and Manage Open Tickets
- Tap Keypad > Tickets.
- Tap New Ticket or swipe the customer’s payment card.
- Enter a ticket name > Save.
- Add items or custom amounts to the ticket.
- Tap Save.
- Add items or custom amounts to the sale > tap Save.
- Tap New Ticket or swipe the customer’s payment card to create a new ticket.
- Enter the ticket information > Save.
- Tap Keypad > Tickets. Locate and tap the ticket you’d like to update.
- Tap the arrow next to the ticket name > make your updates.
- Tap Save, or tap Delete > Confirm Delete.
Note: If you’re using a kitchen ticket printer, a new order ticket will print when new items are added to an open ticket.
If a party needs separate checks, you can split an open ticket on an iPad or Android tablet and charge customers individually. To split a ticket:
- Tap Keypad > Tickets. Select a ticket to open.
- Tap the arrow in the top-right corner > Split Ticket.
- Tap the item(s) you’d like to move to a new ticket > Split New Ticket. Repeat this for each new ticket.
- Tap Save at the bottom of each ticket, or Save All at the top-right corner.
Merge multiple tickets to one master open ticket on an iPad. To do so:
- Tap Keypad > Tickets.
- Locate and tap a ticket name from the list.
- Tap the down arrow next to the ticket name > Merge Ticket.
- Select the ticket(s) to merge with > Merge.
- Select the master ticket that will display all the merged items.
- Tap Merge.
Note: If Team Management is turned on, the master ticket owner will receive credit for the sale once the ticket is closed and the customer’s payment has been processed.
Your team members can transfer their open tickets to another. To do so:
- Tap Tickets > Edit.
- Select the ticket(s) to transfer > tap Assign.
- Tap a team member name > Assign.
- The team member the ticket is transferred to will receive credit for the sale.
Note: To use this feature, team members must be assigned to a role with Manage All Open Tickets enabled.
Print and Close Open Tickets
When your customer is ready to pay, locate their open ticket and close the sale.
Tap Review Sale > Tickets > tap your customer’s ticket to add it to the current sale.
If you’re using a receipt printer and have Receipts and Bills toggled on, you can print your customer’s ticket before settling the payment. To do so, tap the ticket name > Print Bill.
Tap Charge > select a payment method > complete the sale.
Once an open ticket is closed, the completed payment can be viewed from your in-app payment activity or your online Square Dashboard, and funds will be sent to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule. Learn more about viewing your payment history.
Note: Payment card information isn’t stored within the app and won’t appear on printed receipts. You’ll need to close an open ticket and charge your customer when they’re ready to pay.
Reprint Order Ticket
To reprint an order from your open tickets:
Select Review Sale > Tickets.
Select ticket to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.