Privacy Notice for Website Visitors or Users Who Apply or Sign Up for a Square Seller Account
Effective Date: 13 September 2021
We’ve included annotations in the gray boxes below to emphasize certain portions of our notice and help guide you as you read them. The annotations aren’t summaries, so please take the time to read everything!
By using our services you consent to these data practices. If you use our services on behalf of your company, that company consents too.
This Privacy Notice describes how Squareup International Ltd., with its office at Fumbally Square, Fumbally Lane, Dublin 8, Ireland, and our affiliates (collectively, “Square,” “we,” and “us”) collect, use, disclose, transfer, store, retain or otherwise process your information when you (whether you are a person acting as a sole proprietor or on behalf of another business entity) apply or sign up for a Square Seller account or by using our website, www.squareup.com.
Our Privacy Notice explains:
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
- INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS
- SOURCES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- LEGAL GROUNDS WE USE TO PROCESS YOUR INFORMATION
- WHEN AND WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
- YOUR CHOICES
- INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
- CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
- HOW WE SECURE INFORMATION
- CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
- HOW TO CONTACT US
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We use your data to provide the Services and the support that you request. We also use your data to make Square’s products and Services work better for you and for others. We describe below what data we collect about you.
Information You Provide to Access our Services
We use data you put into our systems when you open and use a Square Seller account or other Square services, like financial or tax information, information that identifies who you are, transaction information, and any other data you give us.
More particularly, we collect information you provide when you:
- Make a request to receive information about Square or any of our Seller products;
- Apply or sign up for a Square Seller account or other Seller Services;
- Go through our identity or account verification process, authenticate into your account, communicate with us, answer our surveys, upload content; or
- Visit our website, www.squareup.com.
We call this information Account Data and we collect this information along with certain information you share with us when you use the Services (as described below). These categories of information are necessary for us to provide the Services to you and to allow us to comply with applicable regulations, including but not limited to, anti-money laundering and tax laws. Without processing this information, we will either be prevented or restricted in providing the Services to you.
Specifically, we collect the following categories of information that you share with us when using our Seller Services:
- Financial information, such as bank account information and payment card numbers;
- Identification information, such as:
- Name, email address, postal address, photograph, date of birth and phone number;
- Passport number, driver’s license number, taxpayer identification number, or other government-issued identification number;
- Signature and other authentication credentials (for example, certain information you use to login to your Square account) including IP address you use when you apply or sign up for our Services;
- Tax information, such as withholding allowances and tax filing status.
- Transaction Information, such as information about when and where payment transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions which may include item-level data, the payment or transfer amounts, billing and shipping information, and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
- Other Information You May Choose to Provide, such as information that you voluntarily provide to us, including your survey responses; participation in contests, promotions, or other prospective seller marketing forms or devices; suggestions for improvements; referrals; or any other actions you perform on the Services.
Information We Collect From Your Use of the Services
We also automatically get data from the devices (eg., computer, mobile phone or tablet) you use when you interact with our systems (including our websites) and Services, like your location or information about the device you’re using. We need this data to pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
We also automatically get data from the devices (e.g. computer, mobile phone or tablet) you use when you interact with our systems (including our websites) and Services, like your location or information about the device you’re using. We need this data to pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
- to provide, improve, develop and protect our content, Services, systems, products and applications;
- to personalise our website, products and Services for you;
- to use third parties to check the validity of financial information (e.g. the sort code, account number and card number you submit) in order to detect and prevent fraud;
- to monitor accounts to comply with our relevant legal obligations (including to prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, terrorism, misrepresentation, security incidents or crime).
The information we automatically collect when you interact with our systems and Services and our website (www.squareup.com) includes:
- Commercial Information, such as information about the products and services you sell (e.g., inventory, pricing and other data) and information about your payment transactions (e.g., when and where the transactions occur, a description of the transactions, the payment or transfer amounts, billing and shipping information, and payment methods used to complete the transactions);
- Device Information, information about your device, including your hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifier, country and language settings, mobile network information, and information about the device’s interaction with our Services;
- Location data, which includes the location of your device, including your IP address, device language and location of your internet service provider. For more information and to learn how to disable collection of location information from your mobile device, please see Location Information below;
- Use Information, such as internet or other electronic network activity information which includes information about how you use and interact with our Services, including your access time, “log-in” and “log-out” information, browser type and language, the domain name and location of your internet service provider, other attributes about your browser, any specific page you visit on our platform, content you view, features you use, the date and time of your use of the Services, your search terms, and the website you visited before you visited or used the Services;
- Online identifiers (e.g., certain information you use to log in to your account), Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, and unique personal identifiers (including device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers and similar technology; customer number; unique alias, and other identifiers);
- Professional or employment-related information, such as information you provide about your business (e.g., appointments, staffing availability, and contact data) and your employees (e.g., job titles, payroll information, and hours worked and other timecard data); and
- Information that we reasonably infer from any of the above information which is designed to help us tailor our products and Services for you by, for example helping us to identify your preferences.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We also need to check that you are using our services legally, that you are eligible for the services you want to use, and we protect your data and our services from fraudsters who may put you and your money at risk. To do this, we may collect data about you from companies that help us verify your identity, do a credit check, prevent fraud or assess risk.
We may collect the following kinds of data about you from other sources.
- Background check information (to the extent permitted by applicable law), including credit report information, identity verification information, background check information from public records and information about any person or corporation with whom you have had, currently have, or may have a financial relationship;
- Credit, Compliance and Fraud, such as information about you from third parties for any credit investigation, credit eligibility, identity or account verification process, fraud detection process, or collection procedure, or as may otherwise be required by applicable law. This includes, without limitation, the receipt and exchange of account or credit-related information with any credit reporting agency or credit bureau, where lawful, and any person or corporation with whom you have had, currently have, or may have a financial relationship, including without limitation past, present, and future places of employment, financial institutions, and personal reporting agencies.
Please also see “SOURCES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU” below for details on the identity of these other sources.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS
We also obtain information about your customers on your behalf when they transact with you. We call this information Your Customers’ Data. We collect Your Customers’ Data when they transact with you through your use of Square’s products and Services, for instance when they make a payment at your establishment, or schedule an appointment, or receive an invoice from you. The particular Customer Data we collect will vary depending on how you use our products and Services and which products and services you use. Your Customers’ Data may include:
- Device Information. Information about Your Customer’s device, including hardware model, operating system and version, device name, country and language settings, unique device identifier, mobile network information, and information about the device’s interaction with our Services.
- Financial Information. Bank account and payment card numbers.
- Identification Information. Your Customers’ name; email address; mailing address; phone number; government-issued identification; or other historical, contact, and demographic information, and signature.
- Location Information. The location of Your Customer’s device if they pay with Apple or Android Pay.
- Transaction Information. When Your Customers use our Services to make or record payments to you, we collect information about when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions which may include item- level data, the payment or transfer amounts, billing and shipping information, and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
- Use Information. Information about how Your Customers transact with you using our Services, including access time, “log-in” and “log-out” information, browser type and language, country and language setting on your device, IP address, the domain name and location of Your Customer’s Internet service provider, other attributes about Your Customer’s browser, mobile device and operating system, features Your Customer uses, and the date and time of use of the Services.
- Other Information You or Your Customers May Provide. Information that Your Customers voluntarily provide you, or that you input into Square’s systems or Services about your Customers. For example, survey responses; participation in contests, promotions, or other prospective seller marketing forms or devices; suggestions for improvements; notes you take about your customers, or any other actions performed when they transact with you using Square.
- Identification Information. Your Customers may also choose to provide identification information to Square such as their name, email address, or telephone number, which we link to a tokenized version of their payment card number.
You confirm that you have obtained any necessary permission for us to use your Customers’ Data in the manner envisaged in this Privacy Notice.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We collect your information from you and the other sources listed below.
We collect information about you from the following categories of sources:
- You directly, when you submit information to us or allow us to access information about you;
- Your devices (e.g. computers, mobile phones and tablets) and applications when you interact with our website (www.squareup.com) or use our Services;
- Our group companies and affiliates;
- Other sources, including:
- Publicly available social media networks and social media agencies;
- Online advertising and third party analytics companies;
- Credit reference agencies, identity verification agencies and other service providers who help us with third-party identity verification, credit confirmation and fraud detection;
- Credit bureaus and financial institutions;
- Mailing list providers; and
- Publicly available sources (such as public records of criminal convictions and arrest records).
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your data to do things like make sure the Square products and Services you are using work, help you log in to your account, verify who you are, secure your data, fight fraud, comply with applicable law, enforce our agreements, develop new products and Services, improve our existing products and Services, and provide you with information on products and Services that we think could make it easier for you to run your business (where we are legally permitted to do so).
More specifically, we may collect, use and share, information about you and your customers for the following reasons:
Performing, Improving and Developing our Services
- Delivering the information and support you request, including technical notices, security alerts, and support and administrative messages such as to resolve disputes, collect fees, and provide assistance for problems with our Services or your Square account. We use your Identification Information to communicate with you to fulfil our obligations under the Terms of Service. If you do not provide this information, we will not be able to fulfil our obligations or meet your requests under the Terms of Service;
- Determining whether the Services are available in your country. We process Location Information where you have requested use of the Services, but before you agree to the Terms of Service, to verify if we are able to process your request. Without this information, we cannot confirm whether we are able to offer the Services to you under the Terms of Service;
- Developing new products and Services. It is in our legitimate business interests to continue to improve our product and service offering to individuals in order to develop and grow our business;
- Displaying your historical transaction or appointment information. As set out in our Terms of Service, we will provide information regarding your transaction history, including monthly account statements. We therefore need to collect and process this information to satisfy our obligations under these terms;
- Providing, maintaining and improving our Services, including our website. It is in our legitimate business interests to continue to maintain our product and service offering to individuals in order to keep running our business.
- Improving, personalising and facilitating your use of our Services. For example, when you sign up for a Square account, we can associate certain information with your new account, such as information about other Square accounts you had or currently have, and prior transactions you made using our Services. We do this in order to ensure in our legitimate interests that content from our Services is presented in the most effective manner for you;
- Processing or recording payment transactions or money transfers, and otherwise providing you with the Square products/Services and features you choose to use. We need Identification Information, Transaction Information and Contact Information in order to fulfil our obligations under the Terms of Service. Without this information we would not be able to provide the Services requested by you;
- Doing internal research, measuring, tracking, and analyzing trends and usage. We want to understand how current products and Services are used in order to develop and enhance our products which are in our legitimate business interests. In order to ensure that our legitimate business interests of striving to deliver a consistent, secure and continuous service are met, we need to carry out certain analytics on the performance of our Services; and
- Otherwise providing you with the Square products and features you choose to use.
Communicating with You About our Services
- Sending you surveys and getting your feedback about our Services. We do this to pursue our legitimate interests to understand if the Services are helpful to you and to evaluate the effectiveness of any updates we provide;
- Providing information about and promoting our products and Services to you. We send you service announcements about Square products and Services you use on the basis of our legitimate interests. We will only send you notifications regarding promotional information where we you have requested the information or we are otherwise legally permitted to send you such information (e.g. you have provided us with your consent); and
- Responding to any other communication from you and otherwise managing our relationship with you.
Protecting our Services and Maintaining a Trusted Environment
- Conducting investigations, complying with and enforcing applicable laws, regulations, legal requirements and industry standards, and responding to lawful requests for information from the government or to valid legal process;
- Contacting you to resolve disputes, collect fees, and help you with our Services. We process this information based on our legitimate interest in providing you with our Services, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws;
- Debugging to identify and fix errors that impair how our Services function. We use device, service and network information in pursuit of our legitimate interest in providing an effective Service;
- Making sure you follow our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies as required by our Terms of Service;
- Investigating, detecting, preventing, recovering from or reporting fraud, misrepresentations, security breaches or incidents, other potentially prohibited, malicious, or illegal activities, or to otherwise help protect your account, including to dispute chargebacks on your behalf. We do this as we are required by law to ensure effective fraud prevention processes are in place. We also do this to prevent our Services being misused for fraudulent activities which is in our legitimate interests as a provider of the Services and other payment processing services;
- Protecting your, our, our customers’, or your customers’ rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services. We do this as we are required by law and in our legitimate interest to prevent our Services being misused for fraudulent activities;
- Verifying or maintaining the quality and safety of our Services. We do this in pursuit of our legitimate interest to provide a leading and safe Services; and
- Verifying your identity (e.g., through government-issued identification numbers). We need to verify your identity to comply with our contractual obligations, applicable law (including anti-money laundering laws), and / or for our legitimate interest in protecting the security and integrity of our Services and your account.
Advertising and Marketing
- Marketing our Services to you; and
- Communicating with you about opportunities, products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives, surveys, and rewards offered by us and select partners.
We will only send you marketing communications where it is legally permissible for us to do so. If you opt in to receiving marketing emails from us, each email will have instructions on how you can “opt out” of getting future marketing from us.
To learn about what choices you have about interest-based advertising and cross-device tracking, please see “Online Tracking And Interest-Based Advertising” below.
- Assist us in engaging service providers who help us run our business;
- Assist us in engaging professional service advisors (e.g. accountants and lawyers);
- Considering, and entering into, any transaction involving part or all of the business or assets of Square or another member of our group;
- Assisting with prudent operational management of our business, Services and systems (including credit and risk management, insurance, audit, training and similar administrative purposes);
- Assisting with prudent IT management of our business, Services and systems (including business continuity and penetration testing);
- Assisting with protecting our rights and those of our customers;
- Assisting with meeting our corporate and social responsibilities; and
- For any other reason we may tell you about from time to time.
Some of our processes for how we use your information can involve profiling, automated processing and automated decisions. We need to do this to meet our own contractual obligations, to comply with applicable law (i.e., for fraud prevention purposes or where we have a good faith belief we are under a legal or regulatory obligation to do so), and as it’s in our legitimate business interests to engage in such automated processing. For example:
- Identity verification: We engage in profiling and automated processing, both directly and through the use of third party identification verification services, to verify your identity (so we can confirm you appear to be who you say you are). We set out more information on this above and how this affects you. If we cannot identify you, we may not be able to provide the Services to you. This identity verification check will be based on the information you provide to us and the results we get for the third party verification services (which is limited to the result of the check).
- Fraud and crime detection and prevention: We have developed processes, for the purposes set out above, to check that our Services are not being used for fraudulent purposes. We will consider information you provide to access our Services, information you provide to enhance your experience, information we automatically collect from your use of our Services, and information we collect from other sources. We regularly check that our processes are up to date and implemented robustly and fairly to ensure that we can deliver the Services to you and that they are safe to use. If we believe in good faith that our fraud and crime prevention processing detects activities or use of our Services which could be used for fraudulent or criminal activities, we may not be able to provide the Services to you.
- Product development and creation: We can process the information you provide to us, the information we collect from your use of our Services and the information we obtain from third parties automatically to improve our products/Services and develop new products/Services. The information we use will help us to understand what is important to our users, and how we can create better products and services.
LEGAL GROUNDS WE USE TO PROCESS YOUR INFORMATION
We generally identify the legal grounds that we rely on to use your or your customers’ personal information in the “HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION” section above but for reference, the legal grounds that we rely on to use your or your customers’ personal information are:
- it is necessary for our legitimate interest and does not unduly affect your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms;
- it is necessary for legal and/or regulatory obligations or requests that we are subject to, such as complying with anti-money laundering and anti-fraud laws or providing information to a public body or law enforcement agency;
- it is necessary to perform contractual obligations that we owe to you (e.g. under the Terms of Service which apply to the supply and use of the Services) or to take pre-contractual steps at your request;
- in some cases, we have obtained your prior consent (e.g. where you authorize a third party application or website to access your information).
Our legitimate interests in using your or your customers’ personal information are detailed in the “HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION” section above and include: improving, personalizing, and facilitating your use of our Services; verifying and maintaining the quality and safety of our Services; assisting with protecting our rights and those of our customers; assisting with prudent operational and IT management of our business (including the Services and our systems); and considering, and entering into, any transaction involving part or all of the business or assets of Square or another member of our group;
To the extent that we use any sensitive personal information relating to you for any of the purposes outlined above, we will do so because either: (1) you have given us your explicit consent to process that information; (2) the processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of applicable law (for example where we are required by law or regulatory requirements to process that information in order to ensure that we meet our anti-money laundering obligations); (3) the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or (4) you have made the information manifestly public.
WHEN AND WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We share your information with others in the circumstances described in this section. For example, with other people with whom you interact when you use our services; within our family of companies (like Cash App and Weebly), who may offer services that we think could be useful to you; with service providers who help us run our services; with ad platforms that help us market and advertise our services to you; or if we need to share your information to comply with the law.
We share your information with others in the circumstances described in this section. For example, with other people with whom you interact when you use our Services; within our family of companies (like Cash App and Weebly) where appropriate,; with service providers who help us run our Services; with ad platforms that help us market and advertise our Services to you (where legally permissible); or if we need to share your information to comply with the law.
We may share the personal information described in the “INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU” section with the following categories of service providers and third parties:
With other Users of our Services with Whom You Interact
- With other users of our Services with whom you interact through your own use of our Services. This is necessary to provide our Services to you, fulfil our obligations in our Terms of Service, as well as to pursue our legitimate interests. For example, we may share information with your customers when you make or accept a payment, appointment, or money transfer using our Services.
With our Affiliates and Group Companies
- With our group companies (including our parent company Square Inc.) and corporate affiliates, for the reasons outlined above. For example, we may share your information internally to understand how you engage with Square company products to help make our Services better for you and for everyone, and to help us build Services tailored to your preferences. This is necessary to provide our Services to you, fulfil our obligations in our Terms of Service, and to pursue our legitimate interests.
With our Service Providers
- With service providers who help us provide, maintain, and improve our Services (e.g., vendors who help us with fraud prevention, identity verification, and fee collection services), as well as financial institutions, payment networks, payment card associations, credit bureaus, partners and other entities that help us provide the Services – including First Data. We share information on the basis of our obligations under the Terms of Service, in compliance with applicable law and in pursuit of our legitimate interest to prevent and detect fraud and improve our Services;
- With service providers that help us run our advertising campaigns, contests, special offers, or other events or activities where we are legally permitted to do so.
- With our professional service providers who assist us with running our business, complying with our legal obligations and defending our rights and those of our customers (e.g. consultants, accountants and lawyers).
Business Transfers and Corporate Changes
- To a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of one or more of the Services in the event of ; a corporate merger, consolidation, or restructuring (including during due diligence and negotiation of these) of Square; or the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets; or the financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business; or other corporate change affecting Square..
Safety and Compliance with Law
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g., from creditors, tax authorities, law enforcement agencies, in response to a garnishment, levy, or lien notice, etc.); (ii) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (iii) to enforce or comply with our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies; (iv) to protect our or our customers’ rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services; (v) for an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vi) to protect us, users of our Services or the public from harm, fraud, or potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
Aggregated and Anonymised Information
- We also may share (within our group of companies or affiliates, or with service providers or other third parties) aggregated and anonymized information that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Digital cookies and similar technologies help us make our services better to use by doing things like recognizing when you’ve signed in, analyzing how you use our services so we can make them more useful to you, giving you a more personalized experience, and making our ads to you work better.
THIRD-PARTY ANALYTICS SERVICES
We use other companies as service providers to help us analyze our site, track metrics, monitor errors, and advertise to you. These service providers are required to keep data safe and secure.
We may use third-party analytics service providers to help us with our online services, such as Google Analytics, Facebook, BugSnag and Crashlytics. The analytics providers that administer these services use technologies such as cookies, web beacons, and web server logs to help us analyze how you use our online services. We may disclose your site-use information (including IP address, identifiers associated with your device, other applications on your device, the browsers you use to access our Services, webpages viewed, time spent on webpages, links clicked, and conversion information (e.g., transactions entered into)) to these analytics providers, and other service providers who use the information to help us figure out how you and others use our online services.
- To learn more about how Google processes your data, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/. To opt out, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- To learn more about how Facebook uses your data please visit https://www.facebook.com/help/325807937506242/ or log on to your Facebook account and access your settings. To understand more about Facebook advertising please see here.
- To learn more about BugSnag, please visit https://docs.bugsnag.com/legal/privacy-policy/.
- To learn more about Crashlytics, please visit https://fabric.io/terms.
ONLINE TRACKING AND INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
We and the service providers we use to advertise to you (where legally permissible) may collect information about your activities on Square websites. We use this information to advertise to you and to tailor our products and services to your interests. You may see certain ads on other websites because we use third-party services to advertise our services to you. We use these services to target our ads to you and others based on your demographics, interests, and context. These third party ad services track your online activities over time and across multiple websites by collecting your information through automated technologies, including third-party cookies, web server logs, and web beacons. The ad services use this information to show you Square ads that may be tailored to your individual interests. The information our ad services may collect on our behalf includes data about your visits to websites that serve Square ads, such as the pages or ads you view and the actions you take on those websites. This data collection takes place both on our online services, and on third-party websites that serve our ads to you. This process also helps us figure out if our ads to you are effective.
Certain web browsers allow you to instruct your browser to respond to Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals to websites you visit, informing those sites that you do not want your online activities to be tracked. At this time, our websites are not designed to respond to DNT signals or similar mechanisms from browsers.
Third-Party Online Behavioural or Interest-Based Advertising Services on Websites (including Mobile Websites)
Some of the advertising platforms that we use to collect information from or about you in order to provide more relevant advertising to you on websites participate in the DAA Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioural Advertising. This program offers a centralized location where users can make choices about the use of their information for online behavioural advertising. To make choices about the use of your information for online behavioural advertising on websites, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance Webchoices tool. If you opt out of online behavioural advertising using this method, this opt-out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out.
Some of the advertisers, advertising technology companies, and service providers that perform advertising-related services for us may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), a cooperative of online marketing companies that offers a centralized tool for opting out of interest-based advertising delivered to each of its member companies. If you would like to opt out of the NAI’s members’ use of information from or about you on websites, please visit the NAI’s opt-out of interest-based advertising page. If you opt out of interest-based advertising using this method, this opt-out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out.
Third-Party Online Behavioural or Interest-Based Advertising Services Within Mobile Applications
Some of the advertising platforms that we use to collect information from or about you in order to provide our advertising to you within mobile applications participate in the DAA Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioural Advertising. This program offers a mobile application called the “AppChoices,” which provides a centralized location where you can make choices about the use of your information for online behavioural advertising within the mobile environment. The AppChoices application can be downloaded from your mobile device at www.aboutads.info/appchoices or from your device’s app store. If you opt out of online behavioural advertising using this method, this opt-out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out.
On your mobile device, you may also go to your device settings and select “Limit Ad Tracking” (for iOS devices), or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (for Android devices), which will allow you to limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device (such as precise location data) for the purposes of serving online behavioural advertising to you.
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your personal information as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected or to comply with legal, regulatory or internal policy requirements.
If you reside in Europe, you have the right under certain circumstances:
- to be provided with access to your personal data held by us;
- to request the rectification or erasure of your personal data held by us;
- to request that we cease processing your data;
- to request that we restrict the processing of your personal data (while we verify or investigate your concerns with this information, for example);
- to object to profiling activities based on our own legitimate interests;
- to object to solely automated processing producing legal or similar effects;
- to request that your data be transferred to a third party (data portability);
- to withdraw your consent to our processing of your data (where such processing is based on consent); and
- to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority in your jurisdiction.
In order to exercise any of these rights (including the right to withdraw your consent), please email email@example.com. We may need to verify your identity before granting access or otherwise changing or correcting your information.
Deactivating Your Account
If you wish to deactivate your account, you can do so by logging into your Square account or by emailing us using the contact details provided below.
In order to provide certain Services, we may request access to location information, including precise geolocation information collected from your device. If you do not consent to the collection of this information, certain Services will not function properly and you will not be able to use those Services. You can stop our collection of location information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, some of our mobile applications will no longer function. You also may stop our collection of location information via mobile application by following the standard uninstall process to remove all Square mobile applications from your device.
You can opt out of receiving promotional messages from Square by following the instructions in those messages, by informing the caller that you would not like to receive future promotional calls, or by changing your notification settings by logging into your Square account. To opt out of text messages from Square reply STOP. Opting out of receiving communications may impact your use of the Services. If you decide to opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as digital receipts and messages about your account or our ongoing business relations.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
We operate in many countries, and we (or our service providers) may move your data and process it outside the country where you live which have different data protection standards to the European Union. We may, and we may use third-party service providers to, process and store your information in the United States, Canada, Japan, the European Union, and other countries. When we transfer your personal data to our affiliates outside the European Economic Area (EEA), we make use of standard contractual clauses which have been approved by the European Commission. For a list of the countries in which we operate, please see https://squareup.com/gb/about.
We also use standard contractual clauses when we transfer your personal data to third parties outside the EEA or we adopt other means to ensure that adequate safeguards are applied to your personal data, such as a relevant third party’s Privacy Shield certification or binding corporate rules (approved by EU data protection authorities and put in place to protect your personal data) First Data and Master Card have implemented binding corporate rules.
You may obtain a copy of any of the documents we use to protect your personal data when it is transferred outside the EEA by contacting us via email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also access the standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission at: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/international-dimension-data-protection/standard-contractual-clauses-scc_en
CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
Our Services are general audience services not directed at children under the age of 18. If we learn that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 18, we will promptly delete that information.
HOW WE SECURE INFORMATION
We do a lot to keep your data safe. While we think we have strong defenses in place, no one can ever guarantee that hackers won’t be able to break into our sites or steal your data while it is stored or flowing from you to us or vice versa.
We take reasonable measures, including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, to protect your information from loss, theft, and misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, the internet is not a 100% secure environment, and we cannot guarantee absolute security of the transmission or storage of your information. We hold information about you both at our own premises and with the assistance of third-party service providers.
For more information about our security practices, please visit https://squareup.com/us/en/security.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We can change this privacy notice. When the changes impact your rights or how we use your data in important ways, we’ll tell you first by email (if you’ve given us your email address).
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time by posting a revised version and updating the “Effective Date” above. The revised version will be effective on the “Effective Date” listed. We will provide you with reasonable prior notice of material changes in how we use your information, including by email if you have provided one. If you disagree with these changes, you may cancel your account at any time.
HOW TO CONTACT US
You can contact our privacy team with any questions or concerns at the address below.
Please contact our privacy team with any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice: FAO: Data Protection Officer.
Squareup International Ltd.
Dublin 8, Ireland
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our privacy notice, or if you believe our privacy notice or applicable laws relating to the protection of your personal information have not been respected, you may file a complaint with our privacy team listed above. We will respond to let you know when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and address your issue. We may keep records of your request and any resolution.
If your request or concern is not satisfactorily resolved by us, you can contact your local data protection authority (see http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.html).