Deactivate Your Account
One of the great things about Square is that we only charge per transaction, so there’s no cost to keep your account open if you’re a seasonal business, using our subscription products, or switching to a new processor.
Keep your account open for free and keep access to:
- Your sales history with Square and advanced reports to keep track of your growth
- Any tax forms Square has or may issue for your account, making tax season easier
- Your Customer Directory to keep your customer’s information organized and secure
- Business tools like Square Marketing email campaigns and free time card tracking with Team Management
Note: If you choose to deactivate your Square account, you will not be able to access any of your payment history or account information (including 1099-K tax forms, if eligible), and any team members will be removed from your account. Any subscriptions to Square services will be cancelled.
Before You Deactivate
There are a few things we recommend doing before you deactivate your Square account:
Export your payment history
Download your payment history for your records. You may need this information for tax purposes, future reference or when applying for a bank loan or credit card terminal.
- Navigate to Balance in your online Square Dashboard.
- Use the date selector to refine a date range. Click This Year or Last Year, then use the arrows to navigate between years. Note: Click the middle of the date-selector to see a full calendar view.
- Select All Locations or manually choose locations to review.
- Click Export to download a CSV file to your computer, which you can open using Microsoft Excel or another common spreadsheet program or financial software.
Export your Item Library
Exporting your Item Library is a good idea if you plan on creating a new inventory list with another point of sale system and as a reference for your records. You can export your item library from your online Square Dashboard into an Excel (.xlsx) or CSV file. Here’s how:
- Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Actions > Export Library at the top-right of the page.
Select whether you’d like to export the file as Excel or CSV. A spreadsheet will download to your computer which you can open using Excel or another common spreadsheet software.
Export your Customer Directory
You can export your entire customer list directly from your online Square dashboard. This may come in handy if you’ve been collecting customer information you want to reference in the future.
To do so:
- Visit Customers in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Import / Export > Export Customers.
- Select the groups you’d like to export customers from. If a customer exists in multiple groups, they will only be exported once.
- Click Download.
A .CSV file will download to your computer, which you can open using Excel or another common spreadsheet software.
Download any Form 1099-K issued to your account
Note: Your account may qualify for and be issued a Form 1099-K January of next year for sales processed this calendar year. In the case you deactivate your account before the end of the current year and qualify for a 1099-K, it will be mailed to the address on file for your account. Confirm or edit your business address and corresponding tax ID in the Tax Forms section of your online Square Dashboard. Learn more about tax reporting with Square.
What to do with your Square hardware
Square readers and third-party hardware are universal, so they don’t store any personal or account information and can be used with any Square account.
Readers are not linked to any specific account holder or their bank account, nor do they need to be activated. Your personal information will not be compromised if you sell, recycle, or share your reader between Square accounts.
What happens to your data
For more information on Square’s data retention policies, please visit the following pages:
Deactivate Your Account
There is no cost associated with keeping your Square account open. However, if you are still interested in deactivating your Square Point of Sale account, you can do so right from your online Square Dashboard.
Note: Once deactivated, you will not be able to reactivate your existing account. You will need to create a new Square account should you decide to begin using Square again.
Please make sure you’ve exported all the necessary data prior to deactivation.
- Visit Account & Settings in your online Square Dashboard.
- From the Personal Information tab, scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Select Deactivate Account.
- Select your reason for deactivation and click Continue.
- Enter the verification code.
- If you have 2-Step Verification on your account, your verification code will either be texted to you or you can use your authenticator App.
- If you do not have 2-Step Verification on your account, your verification code will be emailed to the email address associated with your Square Account.
- Confirm deactivation by selecting Deactivate.
Keep in mind, Square accounts can be created for free, and you’re welcome to create a new one at any time. We’re sad to see you go, but are happy to have been a part of your growing business. We wish you the very best, and hope to work with you again in the future.