Square Secure protects your business so you can focus on your next sale.
It’s about protecting your income.
We fight fraud for you
Fraudulent purchases result in payment disputes, which means money out of the bank for you. Square uses machine learning to look at payments from across our ecosystem ($65 billion in 2017) and adjust our algorithms to account for new trends in fraud.
- Our systems monitor your payments to keep an eye on suspicious transactions.
- Machine learning and human expertise work hand in hand to adapt our technology to the shifting fraud landscape every day.
- Our team of fraud experts reach out to you if we notice anything unusual.
We manage your disputes
Most payment processors charge you a fee when your customer disputes a payment, but Square doesn’t. We also do the time-consuming, stressful work of dealing with your customer’s bank for you.
- We’re experts in disputes. We’ll let you know what you need to do for the best chance at winning your dispute.
- Let us deal with the bank so you don’t have to spend hours on the phone.
- Our team of dispute agents is ready to answer your questions.
- Submit documentation and keep track of active disputes on your Disputes Dashboard.
We’ve saved Square sellers $330 million since 2011 by managing and winning their disputes for them.
It’s about protecting your data.
No compliance headaches
To keep your customers’ data safe from hackers, credit card companies require merchants to follow a series of security guidelines called PCI compliance. Square products are compliant so you don’t have to pay extra for your data security.
- No stress of maintaining and updating your compliance each year.
- No expensive audits, assessments and noncompliance fees.
Secure hardware, secure payments
Security is engineered into Square hardware and software from the ground up. Your payments are encrypted to protect against hackers. It’s all designed and maintained by Square so you don’t have to go through anybody else.
- Payments are secure out of the box with no lengthy setup.
- All card-present payments are encrypted from end to end.
- In-house teams constantly monitor our server security.
Robust account protection tools
We have many layers of defense designed to keep hackers out of our systems. But they can get hold of your password or email address if they’ve been compromised somewhere else online. You can use our tools to enhance your security and we monitor your login activity so we can block suspicious logins.
- Set up 2-Step Verification to add a layer of security to your account.
- Control who has access to your account through employee permissions.
- Get feedback from Square if your password isn’t strong enough.
“Someone sent me a request for a large quote. Everything looked totally legitimate. Then Square emailed me and let me know that it was likely a scam. I would have paid the shipping company and then the payment would have been disputed. Now I know Square has my back.”
Rick Bovensiep, EZ Foam Systems
Knowledge and tools
Square consistently develops new resources, best practice guides and tools to make it easier for you to avoid fraud and disputes. Here are a few support articles to help you keep your business safe.