To sign up for Square’s online payroll services in Montana, you must be registered with the Montana Department of Revenue and the Montana Department of Labor and Industry so we can pay and file your state taxes.
|Agency||Required Tax Information||Format|
|Montana Department of Revenue||Montana Withholding Account Number||0000000000 (10 digits + WTH)|
|Montana Department of Labor and Industry||Montana UI Account Number||000 0000 (7 digits)|
|Montana Total Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate||X.X%|
Montana New Employer Registration
Montana Withholding Account Number
- If you are a new business, register online with the Montana Department of Revenue.
- If you already have a Montana Withholding Account Number, you can find it online or by contacting the agency at 406-444-6937 or DORe-Services@mt.gov.
Montana Unemployment Insurance Account Number
- If you are a new business, register online with the Montana Department of Labor and Industry. You can also register via phone at 1-800-550-1513.
- If you already have a Montana UI Account Number, you can look this up online or by contacting the agency at 406-444-3834.
Montana Total Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate
- This is the sum of your Unemployment Insurance Contribution Rate and Administrative Fund Tax Rate.
- If you are a new business, you will be assigned a new employer rate based on the type of industry you are in (e.g. Services or Construction). You can find your new employer Total Rate online.
- If you have already been assigned a rate, you can look this up online or find it on the Notice of Unemployment Insurance Tax Rates mailed by the Montana Department of Labor and Industry. If you are unsure, contact the agency at 406-444-3834 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Montana Payroll Tax Details
Square Payroll processes the following per the frequency below to the listed state agencies:
|Department of Revenue||Withholding Tax Payment Voucher (MW-1)||After Every Pay Run|
|Annual Withholding Tax Reconciliation (MW-3)||Annually|
|Wage and Tax Statement (W-2)||Annually|
|Department of Labor and Industry||Employer’s Unemployment Insurance Quarterly Wage Report (UI-5)||Quarterly|
|Department of Public Health and Human Services||New Hire Report||As Needed|