With Square for Retail, you can easily create purchase orders to stock up on products, track vendors, receive inventory.
Create a new purchase order
- Log in to Purchase Orders > click Create Purchase Order.
- Enter purchase order details > click Create or Save as Draft.
- Check your vendor’s email address and add a note (optional).
- If you’d like a copy of the P.O. select Send me a copy, Save as PDF, or Save as CSV.
Once you’ve created a purchase order for an existing vendor, the item variation will be associated with that vendor and the cost to purchase from that vendor. Items associated with a vendor will be visible under the Item Library tab of the vendor’s profile.
Note: To see the purchase order before hitting send, click Preview Email.
Edit an existing purchase order
- Log into Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you wish to edit.
- Click Edit Order > update the order details.
Note: Editing a purchase order does not automatically generate a new email to your vendor – to make sure they receive the updated order information:
- Visit Purchase Orders > click the three horizontal dots to the right of the purchase order.
- Click Send as email > include a note to explain that the purchase order has been updated.
Cancel a purchase order
- Log into Purchase Orders > click the three horizontal dots next to the purchase order you’d like to cancel.
- Click Cancel Order.
Note: After a purchase order has been cancelled, it will be moved into the Archived Orders section.
Receive a purchase order
Receive Order Online:
- Log into Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you have received.
- Click Receive All or Receive None. To partially receive inventory, click Receive in the product row > enter the amount to partially receive > Save.
- Click Save.
Receive Order In-App:
- In the Retail app, open the navigation page.
- Scroll down to the Inventory section > tap View Purchase Order.
- Tap the order to receive.
- Review order details, add optional fee, or update the quantity received.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Receive.
If inventory is damaged or will not be fulfilled for some other reason, you can indicate that by clicking the three horizontal dots next to the impacted line item.
Note: When you receive a purchase order, you can enter shipping and handling or other costs by clicking Add Optional Fee. The additional cost will be included in your Cost of Goods Sold report.