Purchase Order Management
With Square for Retail, you can easily create purchase orders to stock up on products, track vendors, receive inventory.
Create a New Purchase Order
- From your online Square Dashboard, head to the Item tab > Inventory Management > Purchase Orders > click Create Purchase Order.
- Enter purchase order details > click Create or Save as Draft.
- Check your vendor’s email address and add a note (optional).
- If you’d like a copy of the P.O. select Send me a copy, Save as PDF, or Save as CSV.
Once you’ve created a purchase order for an existing vendor, the item variation will be associated with that vendor and the cost to purchase from that vendor. Items associated with a vendor will be visible under the Item Library tab of the vendor’s profile.
Note: To see the purchase order before hitting send, click Preview Email.
Edit an Existing Purchase Order
1.Head to the Item tab > Inventory Management > Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you wish to edit.
- Click Edit Order > update the order details.
Note: Editing a purchase order does not automatically generate a new email to your vendor – to make sure they receive the updated order information:
- Visit Purchase Orders > click the three horizontal dots to the right of the purchase order.
- Click Send as email > include a note to explain that the purchase order has been updated.
Cancel a purchase order
- Log into Purchase Orders > click the three horizontal dots next to the purchase order you’d like to cancel.
- Click Cancel Order.
Note: After a purchase order has been cancelled, it will be moved into the Archived Orders section.
Receive a Purchase Order
Receive Order Online
- Log into Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you have received.
- Click Receive All or Receive None. To partially receive inventory, click Receive in the product row > enter the amount to partially receive > Save.
- Click Save.
Receive Order In-App
- In the Retail app, tap Add Stock.
- Under Active Purchase Orders, locate the purchase order to receive.
- Tap the order to receive.
- Review order details, add an optional fee, or update the quantity received.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Receive.
If inventory is damaged or will not be fulfilled for some other reason, click Update next to the impacted line item. Marking items as damaged, stolen (theft), or as a loss, will not reflect on your Cost of Goods Sold report.
Note: When you receive a purchase order, you can enter shipping and handling or other costs by clicking Add Fee. Additional cost will be included in your Cost of Goods Sold report. Keep in mind, adding additional fees will not affect the unit cost of the individual items in the purchase order.
Add or Create Items From a Purchase Order
If you’ve already created the items to include in a given purchase order, just start typing and your library will populate as a drop down for your to choose from.
If you need to create an item for a purchase order, you can manually enter the item name, price, and unit cost on the spot.
- Log in to Purchase Orders > click Create Purchase Order.
- Type the name of the item you would like to create.
- Click Create Item.
- Enter the item details, including SKU, price, and cost.
- Click Save.
Your newly created item will automatically populate in your purchase order.
Additionally, on the item creation page, if you click View All Item Properties, you can add other information such as the locations your new item is carried, or item variations.
Set Unit Cost with Purchase Orders
When you receive stock using a Purchase Order, the unit cost for the items in the purchase order is automatically saved.
To set unit cost with Stock Received on your Dashboard:
- From the Items tab in your online Square Dashboard, search for and select an inventory item to adjust.
- Select a location to adjust inventory for > select Stock Received.
- Add a count of 1 or more.
- Add a unit price > Save.
Read more about setting and updating your unit costs.
Print Bar Code Labels for Purchase Orders
You can print bar code labels for purchase orders from you online Square Dashboard.
To get started:
- Head to the Items tab online.
- Click Actions > Print Labels.
- Next, click Select from Purchase Order. You’ll see your purchase orders listed — including the PO number and vendor name.
- Select the applicable purchase orders > Done.
Read more about creating bar code labels with Square for Retail.