There is a list of basic checks you can do for many issues you may encounter with Square Register. Please make sure to walk through the following before going through issue-specific troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your device is connected to power. Square Register needs to be powered to function.
- Make sure your device has the latest software. To update your Square Register software, tap the down arrow at the top of your Register and select Settings. Scroll to the device section, tap General > About Register > Software Update.
- Make sure your device’s date and time are accurate. If they are wrong, please update them via the Settings section.
- Make sure your account is activated. Only US accounts can use Square Register at this time.
Is the customer display connected to Register properly?
* If docked:
* Make sure that the display is docked completely and evenly on both sides. There should not be any gap between Register and the customer display and you should hear the latch click on both the left and right sides of the customer display.
* See if undocking and connecting the customer display via USB cable works. This can help Square diagnose whether it is an issue with the docked position only.
- If undocked and connecting via USB cable:
- Make sure that the USB cable is plugged in properly into both customer display and the bottom of Register.
- See if docking the customer display works. This can help us diagnose whether it is an issue with the undocked position only (It is possible that there an issue with the cable that connects to two devices).
Most display issues, such as a few common ones listed below, are resolved by undocking/docking or unplugging/plugging in the customer display. You can also reboot the system by using the power on the bottom edge of Square Register.
- customer display not responding to touch
- customer display frozen on one screen
- customer display stuck on the Square logo
If you’re still having trouble after you’ve tried these troubleshooting steps, please contact our Support Team.
Confirm Square Register is connected to Wi-Fi.
Toggle Wi-Fi off and on in Settings and check to make sure that you see a checkmark next to the network to which you are trying to connect. Confirm that you see the Wi-Fi status indicator on the top right corner of the status bar. Keep in mind, you won’t be able to connect your Square Register to a captive wifi portal.
Confirm Wi-Fi signal strength.
Confirm that you have a strong Wi-Fi signal by checking other devices (such as phones, tablets or laptops) on your network near the location of your Square Register. The Wi-Fi status indicator in the upper right corner of the status bar should have 3-4 white bars to indicate a strong signal. Depending on the position of your router, you may need to move your Square Register closer to your router. If it does not, consider contacting your network professional.
Switch to Ethernet.
If you have an Ethernet connection available, switch to Ethernet by plugging in a cable to the port on the hardware hub.
Confirm Square Register is connected to Ethernet.
Confirm that you can see the Ethernet network status indicator in the top right corner of the status bar. If you don’t see the Ethernet network status indicator, try unplugging and plugging in the cable from the Ethernet port on the hardware hub and from the router or modem.
Confirm modem/router connectivity.
Test your modem and/or router by plugging in other devices (such as a laptop) and seeing if they connect to the internet.
Switch to Wi-Fi.
If you have a Wi-Fi network available, unplug the Ethernet cable and switch to Wi-Fi in Settings. Make sure to unplug the Ethernet cable since the device will default to using Ethernet connection over Wi-Fi if both are available.
Hardware Hub Connectivity Troubleshooting
Test another accessory.
To determine whether there is an issue with the hub or with the USB hardware accessory (printer, barcode scanner, cash drawer), try connecting a different USB hardware accessory to the USB hardware hub
Test USB ports.
Try plugging the USB hardware accessory into a different port. It’s possible the issue may be isolated to one port.
customer display doesn’t recognize tap/contactless payment.
- On Square Register, confirm that you’ve pressed the “Charge” button to activate the customer display to accept contactless cards/phones. The LED indicators should light up when you tap the “Charge” button.
- It is also possible that the contactless card or NFC-enabled phone is damaged or broken. In this case, ask your customer to present a different form of payment.
Chip cards aren’t recognized.
- Ensure chip cards are inserted with the chip facing towards the buyer when the customer display is both docked and undocked.
- If magstripe and contactless payments still work, the chip may be damaged. In this case, ask your customer to present a different form of payment.
- It is also possible that, if magstripe cards and contactless payments still work, something may have damaged the chip card slot. If you think this is the case, contact Square Support.
Cleaning your Register
For minor scuffs and marks, you can use any electronic cleaning cloth included with your Square Register.
To clean the reader on Square Register, you can use card reader cleaning cards or a folded paper towel. Slide the cleaning card or paper towel through the card reader slot to clear any spills or debris.
If you are still having trouble, please give our Support Team a call and we can help get you back to business.