Track Inventory with Stock Alerts
If an item’s in-stock quantity count falls below the alert threshold, a low stock alert is generated. Stock alerts can be viewed in two ways:
- From the Item Library in your online Square Dashboard, low stock alerts are shown under the Stock Alert column for items with alerts enabled.
- Stock alert notification emails are sent to the email address associated with your Square account daily if any item with alerts enabled falls below the alert threshold. The email will list any items that fell below the alert threshold today, as well as any other items that fell below the alert threshold on previous days.
You can disable email alerts for an item by unchecking the Alert box for that item. Additionally, you can configure your emails notifications from the Email Notifications tab on your online dashboard.
Inventory in the Square App
When you complete a sale with Square, inventory stock automatically decreases to reflect the updated item count.
Sold out items will not block a sale for purchases accepted with Square. Your inventory will be updated accurately on your online Square Dashboard, but you still can complete sales for sold out items.
View and Edit Inventory in the Square App
You can view how much stock you have for a particular item and make adjustments right from the Square app.
- Tap the three horizontal lines > Items.
- Create or select an existing item.
- Enter a stock amount under the item details or tap Prices, Sizes, or SKUs to add stock to an item with multiple variations.
- To adjust stock, tap the stock amount > select a reason > enter amount to be adjusted.
You can also go straight to step 3 by pressing and holding an item from your in-app items grid.
Inventory for Online Store Sales
When your customer places an order online, your inventory is reduced immediately. To finalize the sale and update item count, navigate to Order Management and complete the order.
Stock count depends on the current status of an order:
- If an order is canceled or expires, your stock will automatically adjust to reflect actual item count.
- If an item is sold out, customers will see Item Sold Out when they attempt to complete their purchase. Customers will not be able to purchase sold out items on your online store.
- If an order is refunded, your stock count will not automatically increase for returned items. You can manually adjust your stock count to reflect the returned item.
Note: At this time, online pickup orders aren’t integrated with inventory management. Stock counts will need to be adjusted manually to reflect these item sales.