Interested in transitioning your payroll services to Square Payroll? Our team makes it simple and easy to change providers, regardless of the time of year.
Watch Getting Started With Square Payroll
Transition to Square Payroll in 3 steps:
Step 1: Gather your required business information
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- State Employer Tax Information
- Legal business name, business type, and address (as registered with your EIN)
- Bank account number and routing number
- Year-to-date (YTD) gross pay for each of your employees.
- Payroll reports from your prior payroll provide. Here’s how you can pull those reports.
- Employee and contractor e-mail address (if you are enabling employee online accounts)
- Employee and contractor details:
- Physical mailing address
- Social Security Number
- Tax withholding information
- Former employee details so we can generate their W-2s at the end of the year
Step 2: Go to squareup.com/payroll and click Get Started
- Enter the business information listed above.
- Select your pay schedule.
- Add your W-2 employees and/or 1099-MISC contractors to Square Payroll.
- Upload your year-to-date payroll records.
Step 3: Close your old payroll account
- Save all payroll and employee records. This includes breakdowns of your QTD and YTD gross pay and prior state and federal tax filings.
- Maintain your employee records. Square Payroll will generate W-2s for all employees that you paid within the calendar year, including those who are not currently working for you. We need to have your employees’ addresses, social security numbers (SSN), and YTD gross pay with tax breakdowns to ensure that their W-2s are accurate
- If you’re switching in the middle of a quarter, clarify which tax payments and filings your former payroll provider will be making on your behalf. Your previous provider should refund quarterly taxes collected but not submitted to the IRS and/or state (SUI, FUTA, and ETT) to you. Square Payroll will re-collect and submit those specific taxes on your behalf. Your prior provider should pay any federal and state income taxes collected. Please contact us if they are not so we can be sure your payments are up-to-date.
Check out a full description of Square Payroll’s features to see how we can save you time and money paying your team!