Get Started With Direct Messaging
Whether a customer leaves something in your store or you have a question about an order, you can meet your customer service needs with Direct Messaging built right into your Customer Directory. You can send a message to customers who have been sent an emailed receipt from your business or whose email address has been manually added to their customer profile and keep a record of your conversations.
Note: Direct Messages should never be used to send unsolicited marketing emails and should be limited to transactional content so as to be compliant with CAN-SPAM. For more information on CAN-SPAM compliance, refer to this Online FTC Guide.
To send a Direct Message to a customer from your Square Dashboard:
- Sign in to the Directory tab of your online Square Dashboard.
- Select the customer you’d like to message.
- Click the three-dotted icon at the bottom of the profile > Send Message.
- Compose your message in the dialog box in fewer than 500 characters > click Send Message.
To send a Direct Message to a customer from the Square Point of Sale app:
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register.
- Tap Customers > All Customers.
- Search or select a customer > tap Send Message.
- Type your message in the text field in less than 500 characters.
- If you’d like to include a coupon, tap +, enter the coupon amount, and tap Done.
- Tap Send.
Note: If you’re sending a message from an iPad, you may have to hide the keyboard by tapping the keyboard icon on the bottom-right corner.
Your customer will be able to reply to the email and you can correspond just like you would using your personal email. All activity will appear in the activity list in your customer’s profile as well as in the Feedback section of your online Square Dashboard.