With Square Loyalty, you can create a digital rewards program that will keep your customers coming back again and again – with incentives they earn with each purchase. Square Loyalty costs $25 per location, per month, and includes simple setup, rich analytics, and a data-driven results.
Note: If you’re already signed up for Customer Engagement Pro, you’ll have access to all of Square Loyalty’s new features without any change in pricing. Customer Engagement Pro is no longer being offered for new subscriptions, so if you cancel your subscription you’ll only be able to sign up for Square Loyalty (or Square Marketing) a la carte.
If you’re ever curious about the pricing available to you, the best place to look is your online Square Dashboard.
Here’s how it works:
Your customers earn stars and rewards for every purchase they make, even when they use cash. They don’t need to receive a digital receipt in order to accumulate stars – simply have your customer enter their phone number after they check out. Your customers will be notified via SMS when they sign up with a link to their status page, and each time they earn a reward.
You can look up your customer’s reward status using their phone number, so you can reward your regulars and keep your line moving fast. You can also customize your reward program so that you’re incentivizing the best possible customer interaction. Your customers can either earn a star per transaction, item purchased, or earn a star every time they spend a certain amount – so they could earn multiple stars per purchase (i.e. your customers could earn a star every time they spend $10).
Note: Rewards are valid for 1 fixed calendar year from the date they are issued.
|Seller Community: “We tell our customers face to face that we’ve switched to the virtual punch card that’s stored by their phone number. Everyone seems really excited about it, and they’re catching on. I let them push their own phone number in too. I think it adds to their experience.” - LSBS|
Set Up Your Loyalty Program
Create a Loyalty program with Square by setting up how your customers will earn rewards, be rewarded, and at which locations they can participate.
Enroll Your Customers
After you’ve set up and activated your Loyalty program and subscription, the new Loyalty enrollment screens will appear in your register app. Make sure all your devices have Register v4.43 or later to ensure your customers can enroll and accumulate stars.
To enroll your customers in your loyalty program:
- Process a sale the same way you normally would.
- After the sale has been completed and your customer has passed the receipt screen, they’ll reach the Loyalty Screen. Note: The enrollment screen will not appear if the minimum purchase amount is not reached.
- Your customer enters their 10-digit phone number to opt-in the your loyalty program.
- They receive an SMS indicating they’ve earned their first star, and a link to their loyalty program status.
Note: Your customer will receive occasional SMS messages about your loyalty program, such as reward notifications. They can unsubscribe from SMS messages at any time.
They may also request a link to their status page after checkout by tapping on the gray phone number field in the loyalty screen.
Your customer’s loyalty account number is connected to their phone number. They can pay with different credit cards, checks, gift cards or cash, and still earn stars towards rewards by entering the same phone number.
Applying Rewards to Purchases
- Visit your item library by tapping this icon:
- Tap Redeem Rewards.
- Enter your customer’s 10- digit phone number to search for available rewards.
- Tap reward to apply it to the current sale.
- Continue check-out as normal.
View a Customer’s Loyalty Status
Square Loyalty integrates with the Square Point of Sale app and your Customer Directory to keep track of your customers’ loyalty status. View a customer’s loyalty status from their profile’s activity feed to see when they enrolled, stars and rewards earned, redemptions, and more.
A customer’s activity feed will reflect the following loyalty events:
- Enrolled in Loyalty: Customers are enrolled in your loyalty program by entering their phone number after an eligible purchase.
- Earned a Star: See how many stars were earned and at which location.
- Manually Added/Removed Stars: See if a customer’s stars were adjusted.
- Automatically transferred balance of stars: Customers who may have inadvertently created multiple loyalty profiles have them automatically merged by our system to prevent lost stars or rewards. For example, if they used the same card twice but accidentally entered the wrong number, we’ll pick up on it and fix it for you.
- Signed up for the Mailing List: See when a customer signs up for your mailing list and if they did so in return for stars. When you enable the Collect Contacts feature in Square Loyalty, new customers will receive an SMS message offering an additional amount of stars in exchange for their email address.
- Coupon Redeemed: See when customers redeem an earned reward and at which location.
Manually Adjust a Customer’s Loyalty Status
To edit a customer’s star count, locate their customer profile from the Square Point of Sale app and assign them the correct number of stars. To get started:
- Tap Customers.
- Search for your customer by name or phone number.
- Tap Edit next to their Loyalty status.
- Adjust stars using the + or - signs.
- Tap Save.
Edit or Delete Your Loyalty Program
You can update your Loyalty program anytime with no affect on your customers’ existing, earned stars. If you delete your current rewards program, any outstanding stars will be lost and deleted. Outstanding rewards will remain valid until they expire 1 calendar year after being issued.
To edit your rewards:
- Navigate to Loyalty of your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Actions at the top left of the screen and click Edit or Delete from the menu.
- Confirm or save your changes.
Note: If you edit your program, all changes will apply to outstanding stars. For example, if a customer had three of five stars and you change to a ten-star program, they will now have three of ten stars. Please make sure your customers and cashiers understand the impact of these changes.
Once you have your Loyalty Program set up, you can manage the number of rewards your customers have directly from the Square Point of Sale App, so you’ll never have to worry if you miss a punch!