System updates

We’re experiencing issues that may affect your Square services. We’ll continue to update our status page with more information.

Home>State-Specific Payroll Information

South Dakota Employer Tax Information

To sign up for Square’s payroll service in South Dakota, you must provide a valid South Dakota Unemployment Insurance (UI) Account Number, your UI Contribution rate, and your Investment Fee Rate. 

Add Your South Dakota Unemployment Insurance Account Number to Square Payroll

You must have a South Dakota UI Account Number to sign up for Square Payroll. This information is required for state tax payments and filings to be made on your behalf.

Don’t Have a UI Account Number?

The fastest way to get a UI Account Number is to register online with the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR). You will receive your seven-digit (XXXXX.X-X) UI Account Number and your UI contribution rate when you complete registration. 

You can also contact the DLR UI Tax Unit by calling: 605-626-2312.

Can’t Locate Your UI Account Number?

To locate your UI Account Number: 

  • If you’ve filed state payroll tax returns in the past, your UI Account Number can be found on any previously submitted quarterly state tax filing (Form 21). The UI Account Number is a seven-digit number in the following format: XXXXX.X-X.

  • Contact the DLR UI Tax Unit by calling: 605-626-2312.

To update the UI Account Number that Square Payroll has on file for your business, please contact us.

Add Your South Dakota UI Contribution and Investment Fee Rates to Square Payroll

You must provide your UI Contribution and Investment Fee rates when signing up for Square Payroll so we can accurately withhold these taxes. To locate your rates:

  • If you are a new employer, you will receive your rates once you complete the online registration with the DLR. For most new employers, The UI Contribution rate is 1.2%, and the Investment Fee rate is .55%, though these rates may vary. 

  • If you are an existing employer, you can find your rates on the Contribution and Investment Fee Rate Notice mailed to each employer in mid-November. 

  • You can locate your UI Contribution and Investment Fee rates by logging in to the DLR website and navigating to Overview or Change Business Account Information

  • Contact the DLR UI Tax Unit by calling: 605-626-2312.

You are responsible for ensuring Square Payroll has the correct UI Contribution and Investment Fee rates for your business. Please contact us if you need to update one or both of these rates.

Learn how to locate or obtain an EIN.

South Dakota Payroll Tax Details

Square Payroll processes the following per the frequency below to the listed state agencies:

Agency Name Frequency
Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR) Employer's Quarterly Contribution, Investment Fee, and Wage Report (Form 21) Quarterly
Unemployment Insurance Tax Payment Quarterly
New Hire Report (SD EForm 0778) Per New Employee

Review a full list of tax resources for all Square Payroll supported states.

Learn more about: Payroll

Can't find what you need?