Tennessee Employer Tax Information
To sign up for Square’s payroll services in Tennessee, you must provide a valid Tennessee Employer Account Number and your state Unemployment Insurance (UI) tax rate.
Add Your Tennessee Employer Account Number to Square Payroll
You must have a Tennessee Employer Account Number to sign up for Square Payroll. This information is required for us to make state tax payments and filings on your behalf.
Don’t Have an Employer Account Number?
Visit the Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development website for instructions on obtaining an Employer Account Number. After you complete and mail in the required paperwork, the Department of Labor & Workforce Development will send you a form containing your eight-digit (XXXX-XXX X) Employer Account Number and UI tax rate.
You can also contact the Department of Labor & Workforce Development by calling 844-224-5818 and pressing 1.
Can’t Locate Your Employer Account Number?
To locate your Employer Account Number:
- If you’ve filed state payroll tax returns in the past, you can find your Tennessee Employer Account Number on any previously submitted quarterly wage report. Your Employer Account Number is an eight-digit number in the following format: XXXX-XXX X.
- Call the Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development at 615-741-2486.
If you need to update your Employer Account Number in Square Payroll, please contact us.
Add Your Unemployment Insurance Rate to Square Payroll
You must provide your Unemployment Insurance (UI) rate when signing up for Square Payroll so we can accurately withhold this tax. To locate your UI rate:
- If you are a new employer, this rate will be sent to you once you complete your registration for an Employer Account Number. The UI tax rate for most new employers is 2.7%.
- If you are an existing employer, you can find your UI rate on the Notice of Employer’s Premium Rate (LB-0482) mailed to each employer by the Department of Labor & Workforce Development in the first quarter of each year.
- Call the Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Department at (651) 741-2486.
You are responsible for ensuring Square Payroll has the correct UI rate for your business. Please contact us if you need to update your rate.
Learn how to locate or obtain an EIN.
Tennessee Payroll Tax Details
Square Payroll processes the following per the frequency below to the listed state agencies:
|Department of Labor & Workforce Development||Premium Report (LB-0456)||Quarterly|
|Wage Report (LB-0851)||Quarterly|
|New Hire Report||Per New Employee|