Square’s inventory management gives you basic tools to keep a clear count of in-stock items in your item library. For items with inventory enabled, the stock count will update based on sales from the Square app and for orders shipped through your online store.
Note: At this time, inventory will not be adjusted from sales processed via Square Invoices.
To use inventory management, make sure you’re running the latest version of the Square app on your mobile device.
New to managing inventory? Make sure to check out our best practices for inventory management.
Need more robust inventory management features? Explore Square for Retail.
Enable Inventory Management
Enable Inventory by Item
With inventory enabled, you can receive alerts in your dashboard for low-stock or sold out items, so you’ll know when to reorder and restock.
- Visit Item Library from your Square Dashboard.
- Select an item from the list.
- Below Inventory, choose the location.
- Click Manage Item Inventory and Alerts.
- In the Inventory pop-up window, check the Track Stock box and select the In Stock quantity.
- To receive alerts in your online dashboard and via email when item stock is running low, check the Alert box and enter the alert threshold.
- Click Save to confirm your update.
Keep in mind, if you have multiple locations, inventory is established, edited, and tracked on a per-location basis.
Enable Inventory in Bulk
You can also enable inventory from your Inventory CSV:
- Visit Item Library.
- Click Modify Item Library and hit Next.
- Select ”Download our template file.” This file includes your entire item library.
- Open the file and add your inventory by item in the column labeled New Quantity [Location]. Any changes made to the New Quantity column will replace the existing item quantity. If you put a 0 in the New Quantity column, your inventory for that item for that location will be set to 0.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Drag and drop your saved file to the Import Inventory window > click Upload.
Manage Inventory and Alerts for Individual Items
To adjust an item’s in-stock quantity and to edit stock alerts, follow the steps below:
- Visit your Item Library.
- Select your Item.
- Under Inventory, select your Location.
- Select Manage Stock Alerts and check the Alert box and setting the alert threshold. If stock reaches, or drops below the alert threshold, a stock alert will be generated.
- Click Save.
Note: You can also update your inventory alert settings at any time from Email Notifications in your online dashboard.
Manage Inventory and Alerts In Bulk
The Import tool allows you to download a report of your current inventory and update your inventory quantities in bulk. This is especially helpful for adding new inventory and verifying current stock.
To download an inventory report or make updates to your inventory in bulk:
- Visit the Item Library.
- Click Import Inventory from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Download our template file” to download your current inventory CSV report.
- In this report, update your Stock Alert Enabled [Location] and New Quantity values and save the CSV file to your computer.
Note: At this time, CSVs are the only supported file for bulk import. Custom templates aren’t supported.
- Drag and drop your saved file to the Import Inventory window and click Upload > Confirm > Done.
To print this information for your records, Visit Item Library > click Export and follow the on-screen prompts.
Note: To bulk edit or create your item library, click Import Items.
Track Inventory in the Square App
When you complete a sale with Square, inventory stock automatically decreases to reflect the updated item count.
Sold out items will not block a sale for purchases accepted with Square. Your inventory will be updated accurately on your online Square Dashboard, but you still can complete sales for sold out items.
Track Inventory for Invoices
Your inventory isn’t adjusted automatically when you make a sale with Square Invoices. To track inventory sold via Square Invoices you must manually adjust your inventory count.
Learn more about managing inventory.
Track Inventory for Online Store Sales
When your customer places an order online, your inventory is reduced immediately. To finalize the sale and update item count, navigate to Order Management and complete the order.
Stock count depends on the current status of an order:
- If an order is canceled or expires, your stock will automatically adjust to reflect actual item count.
- If an item is sold out, customers will see Item Sold Out when they attempt to complete their purchase. Customers will not be able to purchase sold out items on your online store.
- If an order is refunded, your stock count will not automatically increase for returned items. You can manually adjust your stock count to reflect the returned item.
Note: At this time, online pickup orders aren’t integrated with inventory management. Stock counts will need to be adjusted manually to reflect these item sales.