Learn how to create, edit, and import items from the Square Dashboard. You can also use Square to track your inventory. Watch this introductory video to learn how to create items from your online Square Dashboard:
Create Items Online
- Visit Items from your online Square Dashboard and click Create Item at the top-right corner.
Fill in the item information. If your item has a bar code, add the SKU or UPC in the SKU field.
If you’re adding an item image, we recommend the following image specs:
- High resolution
- PNG or JPG file format
- Dimensions that are square
- A size of 720x720 pixels
- Enable inventory management to view item stock counts and stock alerts.
- Click Save.
Create Item Categories Online
Categories simplify your item library and sales reports.
- Log in to Categories from your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Category.
- Name your category (i.e. Drinks, Food, Jewelry).
- Click Assign Items and check the box next to each item you wish to include.
Delete Items Online
- Log in to Items from your online Square Dashboard.
- Click on the item you wish to delete.
- Click the trash can icon at the bottom of the page.
- Click Delete Item to confirm the change.
Import Items in Bulk
- Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Import at the top-right of the page > click the Import button in the pop-up.
- Select Modify Item Library to add new items and update existing items, or Replace Item Library to delete all existing items and replace them with your uploaded items.
Click Next > ”Download our template file.”
Note: If you’re using Safari as your web browser, you’ll need to right-click the “Download our template” link and save the file to your computer.
Open the “itemsbulk-template.csv” file saved to your computer in step 4 using Excel or another spreadsheet program.
- Fill in the template columns with your item information. When editing the template, keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t change any of the information in the Item ID column or delete empty columns.
- Leaving the category field blank will leave the item as Uncategorized.
* New categories will be created for any new values identified in the Category column.
* Leaving the price field blank will create a variable priced item.
* Leaving the modifier field blank will default the modifier to off. Place a “Y” in the appropriate Modifier Set column if you’d like a specific modifier applied to an item.
Note: You can assign a location-specific price, stock count, or availability by setting values in the location specific columns. For example, setting a price in the “Price Location 2” column will assign a price to that location only.
Save the edited CSV file to your computer.
Drag and drop the CSV file into the upload area or click “select it from your computer” > Upload.
Review your changes and click Confirm Import to upload your new item library.
Note: Once you click Confirm Import, you’re unable to revert back to your previous item library.