Update Your Device Software
To make sure the Square app runs smoothly, update to the latest version of software available for your device. After you’ve updated your software, download the latest version of the Square app for the newest features and fixes.
Update Software on an iOS Device
- Plug your device into a power source.
- From the device’s home screen, tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap “Download and Install.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update.
Note: iPad 2 and iPad (3rd generation) do not support iOS 10, the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system. The Square Point of Sale app requires the latest version of iOS to run smoothly, and these two devices are unable to upgrade to the latest versions. We recommend upgrading your hardware to get the most of the Square app.
For more information on updating your iOS, visit Apple’s Support site.
Update Software on an Android Device
- Open your device’s Settings.
- Tap About > System Updates or Software Updates. If you don’t see Advanced, tap About phone.
Note: The process to update software is different for each Android device. Instructions for updating software on your specific device should be available on Google’s Android Support page.