If you notice the Square Register beta app isn’t working the way you expect, these tips will help you quickly get back to accepting payments.
Note: For security reasons, and to ensure PCI compliance, Square will no longer process chip card or contactless payments on devices running versions of the Square app that are older than 90 days. This change will take effect on 26 March 2019. Learn how to update the Square app.
Troubleshoot Your Mobile Device
Try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Check that both your mobile device and the Square app are up to date.
- Log out and back in to the app.
- Turn your mobile device off and on.
- Force quit and re-open the app on your device.
- Delete and reinstall the app. See Apple’s support site and Google’s support site for instructions on how to do so.
- Be sure that the date and time on your device are correct.
Note: Before deleting and reinstalling the Square app, close your cash drawer session and sign out of the app. By signing out of the app, Square will prompt you if you have any pending cash payments (visible in your recent Transactions) awaiting upload to your online Square dashboard.
Delete and Reinstall the Square App
Deleting and reinstalling the app will have no impact on your Square account or recorded payments, as your data is stored on Square servers. Before deleting and reinstalling the app:
- Close your cash drawer session. Cash drawer sessions live on your device. Drawer reports sync with your online Square Dashboard once closed.
- Sign out of the app. By signing out of the app, Square will prompt you if you have any pending cash payments awaiting upload to your online Square dashboard. Alternatively, you can visit your recent Transactions on your online Square Dashboard to confirm you don’t have any pending cash payments displaying an alert icon. If you delete the Square app before allowing cash payments to sync with your online Square Dashboard, cash payments will be lost and you’ll need to re-record any pending cash payments.
See Apple’s support site for instructions on how to delete and reinstall the app.
Once you’ve deleted the app, you can access all of your account information by reinstalling and logging back in to your account with your existing email address and password or device code.
Force Quit the Square App
If you run into issues with the Square app, we recommend force quitting the app on your device.
Force quit on an iOS device
- Double-click the home button on the front of your device to view your recently used apps.
- Find the Square app icon and use your finger to swipe in an upward motion on the app.
- Press the home button again to close your recently used apps, and return to the home screen.
Force quit on an Android device
- Within “Settings,” select “Application” and continue to “Manage Applications.”
- From here, you’ll be able to select all running applications. Tap the Square app and then force quit the application.