Request payment for goods or services with Square Invoices from your online Square Dashboard or from a supported mobile device. From your Dashboard and the Square app, you can create, send and schedule invoice deliveries.
What are Square’s Invoice Fees?
You can send an unlimited number of invoices for a fee of 2.5%. Fees are applied at the time an invoice is paid by your customer with their credit or debit card.
Create Invoices Online
- Navigate to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > click Create Invoice.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to 9 recipients.
- Add the invoice details. Select items and apply modifiers by clicking Customise. Add any applicable discounts.
Note: Discounts will apply to the entire sale.
- Click Send. Or, if you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop down list below Payment > select a date to charge the card > Charge.
When you send an invoice for payment, each recipient has the option to pay with a supported payment card. Both you and your customer will receive a confirmation email once an invoice is paid with a card on file or by your customer.
Note: Paid invoices do not reduce your item quantities if you’re using inventory management.
Schedule an Invoice
If you’d like to schedule a single invoice to be sent at a future date, follow steps 1-3 in the section Create Invoices Online, then use the steps below:
- In the Payment drop-down, select “Send Invoice for Payment” > choose a date the invoice will be sent > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice and select Schedule or “Save as Draft.”
Note: If you select “Save as Draft,” your scheduled invoice will not be automatically sent, and you’ll need to select Schedule to determine when it will be delivered.
Scheduled invoices will be automatically sent to your customer at 10 am (in your time zone) on the date you’ve selected. You’ll receive a notification email once the invoice is paid, and funds will be deposited to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule.
Save a Payment Card for Invoice Payments
With Card on File, save customer payment cards to your Customer Directory, immediately process invoice payments and get paid faster. Saving a card on file comes in handy when sending multiple invoices to the same customer.
There are two ways to save a customer’s payment card:
- From your online Customer Directory by creating a new customer or selecting an existing customer and selecting “Edit”, followed by “Add Card”.
- When Creating an Invoice and ticking “Allow Customer to save their card.”
Charge a Card on File for an Invoice Payment
When you create a Square Invoice, you can select a card on file to charge.
The Square Invoices product will send an invoice, as well as a payment receipt upon completion, to the customer email. In order for Square’s auto-generated invoice to be VAT compliant when you are selling to another business, you must include several pieces of information in the Notes field:
- Customer VAT number
- Quantity order of each item
- Price per item (excluding VAT)
- Discount offered per item
- Credit Memo details required
We are always trying to improve Square products and create better tools for managing your business. We are working to make Square Invoices VAT compliant, but do not have a timeline we can share just yet. Square Invoices can currently be used in tandem with an alternative invoice provider, or by including the above information in the Square Invoices Notes field, in order to generate VAT compliant invoices if you are selling to another business.