Request payment for goods or services with Square Invoices from your online Square Dashboard or from a supported mobile device. From your Dashboard and the Square app, you can create, send and schedule invoice deliveries.
Square Invoices Fees
You can send an unlimited number of invoices for a fee of 2.5%. Fees are applied at the time an invoice is paid by your customer with their credit or debit card.
Create Invoices Online
- Navigate to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > Create Invoice.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to 9 recipients.
- Add an optional Invoice Title and edit the Invoice ID to match your records.
- Add a personal message. If you would like to use the same message for all of your invoices, select Save as default message.
- Under Invoice Method, select whether you’d like to email your customer this invoice or manually share the invoice link. If your customer has a card on file, you’ll have the option to select it from this menu.
- Select the Frequency for this invoice. It can be sent as a One-Time or Recurring invoice. If you’re creating a recurring invoice series, select start and end dates, along with frequency and due dates.
- Select items, then apply modifiers, notes and taxes by clicking Customize.
- Add any applicable discounts:
- To add a discount to the entire invoice, click Add Discount.
- To add a discount to a specific item, click Customize next to the item. Note: Only existing, fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to an item. You must [set up taxes}(https://squareup.com/help/article/5061) and create discounts prior to adding them to an invoice.
Click Send if you’re sending a one-time invoice or Schedule if you’re creating a recurring invoice series. If you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop down list below Payment > select a date to charge the card > Charge.
Note: Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later, or to keep it as a template to duplicate and send anytime.
When you send an invoice for payment, each recipient has the option to pay the invoice with any accepted payment card. Both you and your customer will receive a confirmation email once an invoice is paid with a card on file or by your customer.
Add Attachments to Invoices
You can add an attachment, like a contract or images, directly to your Square Invoice, so your customer will have all of the purchase information in one place.
When creating an invoice, click Add Attachments to upload documents or images from your computer.
Note: Image files and PDFs can be uploaded with a total file size limit of 10MB with a maximum of 10 files.
- You may add additional attachments one at a time or remove uploaded attachments by clicking X.
- Click Send. Or, if you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop down list below Payment > select a date to charge the card > Charge.
Note: File attachment isn’t currently supported for recurring Invoice series.
Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later.
Do not use this feature to upload any Personal Health Information, illegal content or content in violation of Square’s Terms of Service. Content you upload may be reviewed and used by Square in connection with contesting a chargeback.
Schedule an Invoice
If you’d like to schedule a single invoice to be sent at a future date, follow steps 1-3 in the section Create Invoices Online, then use the steps below:
- In the Payment drop-down, select Send Invoice for Payment > choose a date the invoice will be sent > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice and select Schedule or Save as Draft.
Note: If you select Save as Draft, your scheduled invoice will not be automatically sent, and you’ll need to select Schedule to determine when it will be delivered.
Scheduled invoices will be automatically sent to your customer at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected. You’ll receive a notification email once the invoice is paid, and funds will be deposited to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule.
Request Your Customer’s Delivery Address
When you send an invoice through your online Square Dashboard, you can opt to collect your customer’s delivery address.
To do so, under More Options on the invoice details page, select Request Delivery Address.
When your customer receives their invoice, below the payment fields, they’ll see the option to enter their preferred delivery address. Once they submit, you can view their address along with the invoice payment information.
Save a Payment Card for Invoice Payments
With Card on File, you can save customer payment cards to your Customer Directory, immediately process invoice payments and get paid faster. Saving a card on file comes in handy when sending multiple invoices to the same customer.
There are two ways to save a customer’s payment card:
- From your online Customer Directory by creating a new customer or selecting an existing customer and selecting Edit, followed by Add Card.
- When Creating an Invoice and checking Allow Customer to save their card.
The Square Invoices product will send an invoice, as well as a payment receipt upon completion, to the customer email. In order for Square’s auto-generated invoice to be VAT compliant when you are selling to another business, you must include several pieces of information in the Notes field:
- Customer VAT number
- Quantity order of each item
- Price per item (excluding VAT)
- Discount offered per item
- Credit Memo details required
We are always trying to improve Square products and create better tools for managing your business. We are working to make Square Invoices VAT compliant, but do not have a timeline we can share just yet. Square Invoices can currently be used in tandem with an alternative invoice provider, or by including the above information in the Square Invoices Notes field, in order to generate VAT compliant invoices if you are selling to another business.