Note: Follow our Best Practices for Square Invoices guide.
Square Invoices Fees
You can send an unlimited number of invoices for a fee of 2.9% + 30¢. Fees are applied at the time an invoice is paid by your customer with a credit card or Visa co-branded debit card.
If you’re using Card on File to save customer payment cards, you’ll pay a slightly higher fee of 3.4% + 15¢ when a stored card is used to pay an invoice.
Create Invoices Online
- Navigate to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > Create Invoice.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to 9 recipients.
- Add an optional Invoice Title and edit the Invoice ID to match your records.
- Add a personal message. If you would like to use the same message for all of your invoices, select Save as default message.
- Under Invoice Method, select whether you’d like to email your customer this invoice or manually share the invoice link. If your customer has a card on file, you’ll have the option to select it from this menu.
- Select the Frequency for this invoice. It can be sent as a One-Time or Recurring invoice. If you’re creating a recurring invoice series, select start and end dates, along with frequency and due dates.
- Select items, then apply modifiers, notes, and taxes by clicking Customize.
- Add any applicable discounts:
- To add a discount to the entire invoice, click Add Discount.
- To add a discount to a specific item, click Customize next to the item. Note: Only existing, fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to an item. You must [set up taxes}(https://squareup.com/help/article/5061) and create discounts prior to adding them to an invoice.
Click Send if you’re sending a one-time invoice or Schedule if you’re creating a recurring invoice series. If you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop-down list below Invoice Method > select a date to charge the card > Schedule or Charge if sending immediately.
Note: Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later or to keep it as a template to duplicate and send anytime.
Add Attachments to Invoices
You can add an attachment, like a contract or images, directly to your Square Invoice, so your customer will have all of the purchase information in one place.
When creating an invoice, click Add Attachments to upload documents or images from your computer.
Note: Image files and PDFs can be uploaded with a combined file size limit of 25MB with a maximum of 10 files. You can upload file types PDF, PNG and JPG.
- You may add additional attachments one at a time or remove uploaded attachments by clicking X.
- Click Send. Or, if you’re charging a customer’s payment card on file, select a payment card from the drop down list below Payment > select a date to charge the card > Charge.
Note: File attachment isn’t currently supported for recurring Invoice series.
Before sending your invoice, select Preview in the top right-hand corner to view your invoice as your customer will see it. You can also click Save as draft to save the current version to work on later.
Do not use this feature to upload any Personal Health Information, illegal content, or content in violation of Square’s Terms of Service. Content you upload may be reviewed and used by Square in connection with contesting a chargeback.
Add Automatic Reminders to Invoices
Enable automatic reminders for your customers when an invoice due date is approaching or past due.
- During the invoice creation process, scroll to More Options > check Schedule payment reminders for this invoice. By default, a reminder will be automatically sent 1 and 3 days after the due date.
- To set custom reminders, click Edit Reminders.
- Edit the two default options and/or click Add Reminder to add another option.
Learn more about Square Invoices notification settings.
Request Customer’s Shipping Address
When you send an invoice through your online Square Dashboard, you can opt to collect your customer’s shipping address.
To do so, under More Options on the invoice details page, select Request Shipping Address.
When your customer receives their invoice, below the payment fields, they’ll see the option to enter their preferred shipping address. Once they submit, you can view their address along with the invoice payment information.
Schedule an Invoice
If you’d like to schedule a single invoice to be sent at a future date, follow steps 1-4 in the section Create Invoices Online, then use the steps below:
- Select Send Invoice by Email.
- In the Send field, choose a date the invoice will be sent > select a payment due date.
- Finish filling out the invoice and select Schedule or Save as Draft.
Note: If you select Save as Draft, your scheduled invoice will not be automatically sent, and you’ll need to select Schedule to determine when it will be delivered.
Scheduled invoices will be automatically sent to your customer at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected. You’ll receive a notification email once the invoice is paid, and funds will be deposited to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule.
Create a Recurring Invoice Series
If you need to set up recurring payments with your customers, you can do so with Square Invoices.
To do so:
- Go to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Recurring > Create Recurring Series.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory or enter a new name and email address. You can enter up to nine recipients.
- If the customer already has a payment card(s) saved to their directory profile, choose the card to be charged for the recurring payments under Invoice Method. If your customer doesn’t have a payment card on file, you can check the box next to Allow customer to save their card. This gives them the opportunity to securely save their payment card on file.
- Select the start date, the recurrence frequency and the end date.
- Fill out the rest of the invoice, including any discounts.
- Check the Allow Customer to Add a Tip box at the bottom, if appropriate.
- Click Schedule or Charge if sending immediately.
If you scheduled a recurring payment for a future date with the Card on File feature, your customer’s card will be automatically charged at 10 am (in your timezone) on the date you’ve selected.
Keep in mind, if the Card on File is changed and the customer has a recurring invoice, you will need to edit that invoice series to ensure the right card is being charged.
Save a Payment Card for Invoice Payments
With Card on File, you can save customer payment cards to your Customer Directory, immediately process invoice payments and get paid faster. Saving a card on file comes in handy when using recurring invoices or sending multiple invoices to the same customer.
There are two ways to save a customer’s payment card:
- From your online Customer Directory
- Creating a new invoice and checking Allow Customer to save their card.
When you send a Square Invoice, your customer will also receive a payment receipt when the invoice is paid. In order for the Square Invoice to be GST compliant when you are selling to another business, you may be required to include several pieces of information in the Notes field:
- Supplier’s business or trading name, or an intermediary’s name
- The supplier’s business number (BN) or an intermediary’s BN
- Your name or trading name or the name of their authorized agent or representative
- Terms of payment
Source: Canada Revenue Agency
We are working to make Square Invoices compliant, but we do not have an exact timeline we can share just yet. Square Invoices can be used alongside an alternative invoice provider, or by including the above information in the Square Invoices Notes field, in order to ensure your invoices are GST compliant.