Check Out from the Square Appointments App
Accept customer payments using the Square Appointments app. The Appointments app lets you schedule or edit appointments, process payments, or view reports — all in one place.
Pair the Contactless and Chip Card Reader
If you’re using the Square contactless and chip card reader to process payments, you will need to pair the reader directly from the Square Appointments app.
Note: The reader is not able to pair through your device’s Bluetooth settings.
Follow the steps below to pair your reader:
- Go to the Square Appointments app > tap:
- Tap Settings > Card Readers.
- Tap Contactless + Chip Reader > Connect My Reader Wirelessly.
If you run into any issues, you can read more about the contactless and chip reader on our Support Center.
Enable Tipping In-App
- Access your in-app settings by tapping:
- Tap Settings > Tipping.
- Toggle Collect Tips to on.
If you choose to display a Separate Tipping Screen, your customers can select a tip after the payment has processed.
Note: If Allow Custom Amounts is enabled and the pre-set amounts are all set to 0%, the Appointments app will hide these amounts and display only the Custom Tip Amount and No Tip options.
Check Out From the Square Appointments App
To check out customers from the Square Appointments app:
- Tap on the appointment in your calendar. Note The sale will be associated with the staff member the appointment was booked with.
- Tap Review and Check Out.
- Add any additional items or services > select Charge. Appointment information will automatically carry over from the booked appointment.
- Process your customer’s card or accept cash on the payment option screen to complete the transaction.
Process Payments Without a Booked Appointment
For walk-in appointments or on-the-spot sales, you can process a payment without a booked appointment:
- Open the Appointments app > tap on Checkout on the navigation bar.
- Add applicable services or items.
- Tap Charge and proceed through the payment flow by selecting the payment type.
Note: Since the payment will be processed without a booked appointment, by default the sale will be associated with the staff account logged in to the Appointments app.
Collecting Taxes for Services
To add sales tax to a service, you’ll need to manually enable for each service during the checkout flow:
- Once you locate the appointment, tap to bring up the Appointments Details page.
- Tap Review and Check Out.
- You’ll see a list of items and services. Tap on the service and manually enable the applicable tax.
- Tap Save > Charge.
- Services and items associated with the appointment will automatically be added to your cart.
Track Staff Sales
When you check out with a booked appointment, the sale and tip amount are automatically assigned to the staff member who performed the service.
You can export detailed reports to gain insights into how your services and staff are performing.
To get started:
- Head to your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Category Sales.
- Click Advanced Options.
- Choose Display By > Employee.
- View each staff member’s sales by category to help you distinguish between services and items sold.
- Click Export to download a CSV file for your records.
Learn more about Square’s reporting tools.