With Square, you can apply pre-set percentage or dollar amount discounts to your sales. Learn more about creating discounts.
Note: Percentage discounts can be applied to an entire sale or to individual items. Dollar amount discounts can only be applied to an entire sale at this time. Discounts are applied before taxes.
Apply Discounts on a Tablet
Apply discounts from your item library or from your favorites pages on your Android tablet or iPad.
Apply Discounts to an Entire Sale
- From the Square Point of Sale app, tap the list icon for your item library or select your favourites page if you’ve saved discounts to it.
- Tap the discount you’d like to apply to the current sale.
The applied discount will appear as a line item within the current sale.
Apply Discounts to Individual Items
Once items and discounts have been added to your sale:
- Tap Current Sale from the keypad screen and tap the item you’d like to discount.
- Toggle on the discount you’d like to apply.
- Tap Save.
Note: Dollar discounts cannot be applied at the item level. For commonly used dollar discounts, consider creating price points or item variants.
Apply Discounts on a Smartphone
Apply a Discount to an Entire Sale
- Tap the list icon on the navigation bar to reach your item library.
- Locate the discount you’d like to apply and tap it to add it to the current sale.
Apply a Discount to an Individual Item
- Tap Current Sale.
- Tap the item you’d like to discount.
- Locate the discount you’d like to apply under Discounts and toggle it on.
- Tap the arrow at the top left of the screen to return to the current sale.
Apply Multiple Discounts
If you apply multiple discounts to an entire sale, they’ll compound. Here’s an example:
- A discount is added to a sale.
- Square calculates the discounted sale total.
- A second discount is added, which is applied to the total discounted sale price.
If you’re applying a combination of dollar and percentage discounts, the percentage discount will be applied first followed by the dollar amount discount.
Note: You can apply a specific discount to a given sale only once.