My reader isn’t connecting with my device.
Before attempting to connect your reader, confirm the following:
- That you’re using a supported device with the contactless and chip card reader.
- That your device’s software is up to date. Android devices must have version 4.4 or higher. Apple devices must have iOS version 9.1 or higher.
- Your device has the latest version of the Square app.
If the above steps don’t solve the issue, try one or more of the following tips:
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on from your device settings. If it’s on, try turning it off and back on.
- You also need to connect the reader through the Square app. It will not pair through your device’s Bluetooth settings.
- Check that your device is connected to the internet, you are unable to use your reader in Offline Mode.
- Make sure the Square app is open and that you’re signed in.
- Force quit the Square app and reopen it.
- Delete and reinstall the Square app. This won’t affect your account. You can reinstall the app and sign back in. Note: If you’ve recently recorded transactions (e.g., cash transactions) while offline and haven’t uploaded them, connect your device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app or they will be lost.
- Turn your mobile device off and back on.
If these steps don’t solve the issue, force shutdown your reader. To do so:
- Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
- While the reader is charging, use your finger or a pen lid to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds. The reader will cycle through a series of green, orange and red lights through this process.
- After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
- Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.
If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds.
My reader doesn’t stay in pairing mode. The orange blinking lights turn red.
You may be holding down the reader’s power button for too long. Press it for 3-10 seconds and immediately release your finger when you see the orange blinking lights. If you see red blinking lights, you’ve held the button for too long and the reader has been reset.
I’m having trouble taking contactless payments.
First, make sure your reader is properly connected to your device and that it’s not in sleep mode. If it’s connected, and you’re still having problems, force shutdown your reader by holding down the reader’s power button for 15-20 seconds. Release the power button, and then turn the reader back on.
Can I use the contactless and chip card reader offline?
No, you must have a strong WiFi or data connection to process payments.
Why does my reader disconnect when I turn on Airplane Mode?
Airplane Mode disables Bluetooth on your device. If Bluetooth is off, your reader will disconnect.
The USB hub on my Square Stand is full. Can I use a splitter to connect my reader?
We don’t officially support splitters or third-party USB hubs, but you can connect the reader wirelessly to your iPad via Bluetooth Low Energy.