Seven Outstanding Canadian Businesses Named Among Top 50 in the World
The inaugural Square 50 awards recognize businesses that are making waves in their communities and industries across retail, restaurants, and services
Anyone can now submit their selection for the Voter’s Choice in each category
Today, Square is announcing its inaugural awards, The Square 50, dedicated to honouring businesses that are changing the entrepreneurial game. The Square 50 features sellers like brewery and tasting room Backcountry Brewing in Canada, breakfast spot Biscuit Love in the US, poke restaurant Fishbowl in Australia and stationery retailer Kakimori in Japan. The full Square 50 class of 2023 can be seen here!
The Square 50 features 50 businesses across 10 categories, with each category dedicated to unique craftsmanship and expertise:
- The Inspiring Innovators: Businesses that diversified operations and built resiliency for the long term.
- The Growth Generators: Businesses that experienced incredible growth over the years.
- The Future-Facing: Businesses that harness technology to streamline and automate operations.
- The Experience Experts: Businesses that prioritize the customer experience.
- The Stellar Stores: Businesses with elevated in-person experiences.
- The Online Obsessed: Businesses with beautifully designed eCommerce websites.
- The Merch Mavens: Businesses with branded merch lines for customers.
- The Social Savvy: Businesses that leverage social media to promote and grow their brand.
- The Community Connoisseurs: Businesses that give back to their local communities.
- The Green Gurus: Businesses that prioritize sustainability in their operations.
The Canadian honourees by category are:
- The Inspiring Innovators: Switchboard Cafe in Salt Spring Island, BC
- The Merch Mavens: Backcountry Brewing in Squamish, BC
- The Future-Facing: JT Pets in Hamilton, ON
- The Social Savvy: Matty’s Patty’s Burger Club in Toronto, ON
- The Green Gurus: Good Fortune Barbershop in Winnipeg, MB
- The Experience Experts: Tite Frette in Granby, QC
- The Growth Generators: Village Ice Cream in Calgary, AB
While businesses have faced unique challenges over the years, sellers have proven to be resilient and ready to take on anything that comes their way. These businesses set an example for what it means to be a business leader providing inspiration to staff, customers, and aspiring entrepreneurs.
“Every Square seller is a winner in our eyes. Running a business is one of the hardest things to do and sellers continue to amaze us with their innovation, drive, and leadership,” said Saumil Mehta, Head of Point of Sale and Omnichannel at Square. “The Square 50 not only gives these businesses the spotlight they deserve, but we also want to thank them for trusting us to be part of their journey.”
As part of The Square 50, the public has the opportunity to vote for the Voter’s Choice in each category. Voting is now open and closes October 24 at 4 a.m. EST. You can learn more about each Square 50 seller and cast your vote here. Voter’s Choice will be announced on November 15 through The Square 50 page and Square’s social channels.