Pay Contractors Through Square Payroll
Contractors must have their personal information completed before they can be paid. You can learn how to complete this information yourself in our Support Center.
- From the Overview tab of the Square Payroll dashboard or Square Payroll app, click Pay My Team > New Contractor Payment.
Select your pay period dates.
Note: If you choose a pay period in a previous year, the payment will be included in the current year’s Form 1099-MISC.
- Choose your payment method. If you want to record a payment that has already been made or want to write checks for all contractors, choose Pay all Contractors by check.
- Select your contractor(s) and enter their pay or hours worked.
- The Amount column can be used for any non-hourly compensation, such as flat rate payments.
- Your contractor’s gross pay will be reported in Box 7 of Form 1099-MISC (nonemployee compensation).
- Click Continue.
- Review the contractor payment details and click Confirm.
- Contractors paid by direct deposit will receive pay 4 business days after you send the payment.
Delete a Contractor Payment
If your contractor was paid via manual check, you can correct and delete a historical contractor payment from your Payroll history.
To do so:
- Sign in to the History tab of the Square Payroll dashboard or Square Payroll app > select the specific pay period.
- Click Delete Payment > Confirm.
Deleted payments will not show up in the History tab and will not be included in form 1099-MISC at the end of the year. To delete all other types of runs, or if the contractors were paid via direct deposit, please contact us so we can help.