Connect Recommended Hardware to Square Stand
The Square Stand for Contactless and Chip makes it easy to connect compatible cash drawers, receipt printers, and bar code scanners. To start, be sure your Square Stand is connected to the USB hardware hub and plugged into a power outlet.
Connect Hardware to the Square Stand
- Plug your Square contactless and chip reader Dock into a USB port on the hardware hub, then add a supported USB cash drawer, receipt printer, and or bar code scanner into a USB port on the hardware hub. The hardware hub is the rectangular component that connects your Square Stand to the power adapter.
- When a piece of hardware is properly connected, the Square app will give you confirmation.
Learn about setting up your contactless and chip card reader.
To test your cash drawer and receipt printer:
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap the hardware you’d like to test from the list (e.g., Cash Drawers, Printers).
From here, you’ll see the connected hardware.
Watch the following video to learn more about connecting a cash drawer to your Square Stand:
Learn more about connecting a receipt printer to your Square Stand:
Note: Note: If you need to connect more than three hardware accessories to your Square Stand we recommend using a printer-driven cash drawer to free up space on your USB hardware hub.
Tips for Connecting Hardware to the Square Stand
- Your printer settings are tied to the USB port on the hardware hub where you initially connected the printer. If you unplug your receipt printer from the hub, be sure to take note of the port number for future reference.
- The cash drawer will open automatically after every cash payment when properly connected.
- You can also connect a Bluetooth bar code scanner to the Square Stand.
Note: The contactless and chip card reader can connect to the Square stand via bluetooth, or by connecting the dock to the Stand’s hardware hub. If you’re using one of the USB ports in the hardware hub to charge your contactless and chip card reader, you’ll want to make sure the cash drawer you’re using is connected through your printer.
Troubleshoot the USB Bar Code Scanner:
If the Motorola Symbol LS2208 bar code scanner is listed as “not compatible” when plugged in to your stand, reset the bar code scanner. To do so:
- Print the Motorola Quick Start Guide. This step is necessary for completing the remaining steps.
- Scan the bar code labeled ** HID KEYBOARD EMULATION** from the printed Motorola Quick Start Guide while the bar code scanner is plugged into the USB hub of the Square Stand.
- Unplug the bar code scanner and then plug it back into the Square Stand.
Connect Bluetooth Scale to iPads
To connect a Bluetooth scale to your device:
- Make sure your Bluetooth settings on your device are turned on.
- To check the connection, open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales.
- Tap the scale you’d like to pair.
If your scale ever becomes disconnected, your Point of Sale app will remember your scale and attempt to reconnect automatically.
Note: Your Square Point of Sale can pair with only one scale at a time. To pair your Bluetooth hardware with a different iPad, you’ll first need to unpair it.