Connect Scales to Square Point of Sale
Learn how to connect and troubleshoot supported scales with Square Point of Sale.
|Connection||Manufacturer||Model||Square Stand||iPad (no Square Stand)||iPhone||Android||Square Register||Square Terminal|
|Bluetooth||Star Micronics||mG-S8200 NTEP Scale||✔️ Yes||✔️ Yes||✔️ Yes||✖️ No||✖️ No||✖️ No|
|USB||Brecknell||6700U||✖️ No||✖️ No||✖️ No||✔️ Yes||✔️ Yes||✔️ Yes|
For a list of all supported hardware by device, check out our Compatibility article.
Connect Your Bluetooth Scale
The Star Micronics mG-S8200 NTEP Bluetooth Scale is supported through iOS devices.
To connect the Star Micronics mG-S8200 NTEP Scale to your device:
- Make sure your Bluetooth settings on your device are turned on.
- To check the connection, open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales.
- Next, tap Connect a Scale.
- You’ll see a list of supported scales. Tap Connect to pair a scale to your device.
If your scale ever becomes disconnected, your Point of Sale app will remember your scale and attempt to reconnect automatically.
Note: Your Square Point of Sale can pair with only one scale at a time. To pair your Bluetooth hardware with a different iPad, you’ll first need to unpair it.
To unpair your scale:
- Open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales.
- You’ll see your connected scale — tap Disconnect to unpair.
Troubleshoot Your Bluetooth Scale
- Confirm you’re using a supported device with a supported scale. Square Register, Square Terminal, and Android devices aren’t supported at this time. For a list of all supported hardware by device, check out our Compatibility article.
- Check that your scale is turned on,
- Make sure the scale is paired to the correct device and not to another device.
- Check that Bluetooth is turned on within your device’s settings. If enabled, turn it off and back on.
Connect Your USB Scale
The Brecknell 6700U USB Scale is compatible with Android devices, Square Register, and Square Terminal, and requires the following:
- The latest version of the Square app for Android.
- Items configured to sell by weight.
- RS-232 to USB-A cable. This can be purchased through Square Shop.
To connect the Brecknell 6700U scale to your device:
- Plug the 9-pin male end of the RS-232 cable into the port on your scale, and insert the USB-A male side into the hub for your Android device.
- To check the connection, open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar.
- Tap Settings > Scales.
The connected scale should appear in the app menu as Brecknell USB Scale.
Note: Your Square Point of Sale can only connect to one scale at a time.
To disconnect the scale, simply unplug the scale’s cable from your device.
Troubleshoot Your USB Scale
- Confirm you’re using the Brecknell 6700U USB Scale with an Android smartphone or tablet running the latest version of the Square app.
- Make sure your Square app is up to date. The latest version of the Square app for Android is required to connect the Brecknell 6700U scale. Learn how to update your app.
- Ensure you’ve correctly set up Items to sell by weight.
- Check that you have a secure connection between your scale, cables, and any additional connected accessories.