Before setting up your Square Reader, make sure you have a compatible device with the latest version of the Square app.
1. Check the Battery of Your Square Reader
For an accurate battery reading, unplug your reader from any power source.
Firmly press and release the button on the reader. Green lights indicate you’re charged and ready to go. If you see a single red light, battery power is low – charge up immediately.
Once your reader is on, you don’t need to worry about turning it off. It’ll automatically go into sleep mode after 2 hours of inactivity. To wake it up from sleep mode, firmly press the button on the side of the reader.
2. Charge Your Square Reader
Connect one end of the accompanying USB cable to your reader and the other end to a USB port like a cell phone charger, computer or car charger.
It will take around 2 hours for a reader with low battery to charge completely.
Note: You can also use the Dock for Square Reader to charge the reader while accepting payments.
3. Wirelessly Connect Your Square Reader
The Square Reader connects wirelessly to compatible devices with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Make sure your device is running the latest version of the Square app, because only the latest version supports the reader.
To connect your reader:
- Press and release the button on your reader to turn it on.
- Go to your device settings and make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
- Open the Square app and tap:
- Tap Settings > Card Readers > “Connect a Reader.” On an iOS device, tap “** Reader**.”
- Put your reader into pairing mode by pressing the reader’s button for 3-10 seconds.
- Remove your finger as soon as you see orange flashing lights. If you see red flashing lights, you’ve held the button too long and you’ll need to try again.
When connected, the reader will be listed as Ready in-app.
Any necessary firmware updates will be automatically installed once the reader has been connected.
Note: The wireless connection can be lost if the reader and device are more than ~3 metres apart.
Now that you’re set up, learn more about accepting payments.
Connect Square Stand and the reader
If you’re using a Square Stand with the reader, set up is quick and simple. Just plug the included USB cable or Dock for Square Reader to the USB hardware hub on the Square Stand.
You can connect your reader wirelessly if there are no free USB ports on your Stand’s hardware hub.
Watch this video to learn how to connect the Square Stand and reader: