Appointments: Staff Profiles Vs. Employee Permission Groups
There are two important components for creating staff with Appointments for Teams: staff profiles and Employee Permission Groups.
- Staff Profiles: Determine key components like staff hours, services offered and online booking availability.
- Employee Permission Groups: Restrict actions your staff can take on the Appointments app and online Square Dashboard.
Note: To update your staff profiles and Employee Permissions, you may need to take action from two different sections of your online Square Dashboard if you’d like to customize your permission groups for staff.
Staff profiles allow you to determine client facing information — such as the services a staff can perform, their display name and hours of availability.
To access staff profiles:
- Head to the Appointments dashboard > select Staff.
- Select an individual staff member or click Add Staff to create a new profile.
- Enter their contact information (email and phone number), location and hours, as well as the services they offer.
From the staff profile, you can also choose one of three preset Employee Permission Groups to streamline staff creation:
- Service Provider: Allows staff member to manage their own calendar.
- Front Desk: Access to all staff calendars.
- Manager: Allows access to all calendars and account information. Manager role also allows staff members to sync their personal Google Calendar to Square Appointments.
If you would like to customize the above default permission groups, you can adjust staff access at any time from your Square Dashboard.
View a comprehensive breakdown of all permissions for your staff.
Employee Permission Groups
To limit your staff’s permissions or manage their time cards, you’ll be utilizing the features of Employee Management. If you’re subscribed to Appointments for Teams, the cost of these features is included in your monthly Appointments subscription.
Employee Permissions allow you to limit your staff’s access to both the Appointments calendar and the point of sale. The preset groups (Service Provider, Front Desk and Manager) in your staff’s profile are default permissions most appointment based businesses use. If you want to add or remove access, just head the Permissions section of your online Square Dashboard.
For example, say you’d like to give all staff assigned to Service Provider role the ability to issue a refund when accessing the Appointments app:
- Head to Permissions on your Dashboard and select Service Provider.
- Select Issue Refunds to allow your staff assigned to this permission group to issue refunds from the Appointments app.
Read more about Employee Permissions.
In order to fully disable a staff member from accessing your Appointments account, you will need to delete their staff profile and deactivate their employee profile. Note: At this time, you will only have the option to deactivate an employee profile.
If you choose to delete your staff, but keep their employee profile, your subscription type will change from Square for Teams to Employee Management.
Read more about your subscription options with Square Appointments.
Delete Staff Profile
You can delete your staff from their profile on your Appointments dashboard.
To get started:
- Head to the Appointments dashboard > click on Staff.
- Select an individual staff member.
- On the bottom left-hand side of their profile, click on the trash icon.
- You’ll confirm by selecting Delete Staff.
Deactivate Employee Profile
If you delete a staff member, the next step is to deactivate their correlate employee profile. Note: At this time, you will not be able to delete an employee profile. You will only have the option to deactivate.
To get started:
- Head to your online Square Dashboard.
- Click on the staff you would like to deactivate.
- On their profile page, click Deactivate on the top right-hand corner.
- Confirm by selecting Deactivate Employee.