Sign up with an Incorporated Association Entity
Please note that this guidance is general in nature and does not constitute legal, tax or any other type of professional advice. If you are unsure about your entity type or where to find the relevant information, we suggest that you consult with a professional.
If you are signing up with an Incorporated Entity ABN, we are required to collect and verify certain information about your business.
To activate your Square account for card processing, we need information about the President, Treasurer, and Secretary (or equivalent officers) in your organisation.
When applying for a Square Account, please note that you may not be able to use our services or deposits may be suspended if we do not receive all of the information or if we require further documentation to comply with obligations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act of 2006.
Create your Square Account via a web browser on your phone or desktop computer/laptop.
Enter and confirm your email address, and create a password.
You can also create an account through the Square Point of Sale app.
Download Square Point of Sale to your compatible mobile device via the App Store or Google Play Store.
Open the app when it finishes downloading and Click Get Started.
Enter and confirm your email address and create a password.
Incorporated Association Information
Provide basic business information, including the incorporated ABN/ACN.
- Annual General Meeting Minutes: Upload a PDF copy of the most recent meeting minutes showing the election of office holders, including President, Treasurer and Secretary.
- Certificate of Incorporation: Upload if applicable to your association. You can find this on the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website.
- Provide the Incorporation Registration Number. You can also find this via the ASIC website. Note: You can only search by association name, not the ABN.
- Verify the account holder’s identity by providing their name, current residential address, and date of birth using a valid driver licence, passport, or Medicare card.
- Verify the President and Treasurer, and identify the Secretary. For this step, you need to provide the full name, date of birth and current residential address for the President and Treasurer, and the full name of the Secretary of your association. Make sure you have that individual’s consent to provide this information to us.
Note: If your driver’s licence was issued in ACT, NSW, NT, SA, TAS or WA, you must provide both the driver’s licence number and card number as stated on your licence.
Once you have submitted all of your information, our team will review the submitted documentation and will email once your Square account has been activated or if they need further information to complete the review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once you upload this information, Square’s Account Services Team will begin the review process and may reach out via email for additional information. If you have provided sufficient information, your account will be activated for card processing and you can use Square immediately. If you don’t provide the required information, your application may be delayed.
To approve your association for card processing, we must verify your identity. We do this via Equifax. You can read more about our obligations via the AUSTRAC website.
Some browsers have trouble uploading files to your Square Secure Profile. We suggest using a supported browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox on a desktop computer or laptop. We ask that the file be a maximum size of 25MB and in a supported file format (PDF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, or TIFF). If you’re still having issues uploading files, contact Square Support.
Log in to your online Square Dashboard via a laptop or desktop computer.
- Navigate to the Quick Setup section of the dashboard.
- Click Verify information to start accepting payments.
- Follow the prompts to complete activation.
Square’s standard transfer schedule is initiated every weekday at 1 p.m. AEST for payments taken Monday through Friday before midnight Melbourne time. If your transfers are pending, refer to your emails and/or notifications on your Square Dashboard on how to resolve this.
An association must have an ABN to sign up for a Square Account. Learn more about Applying for an ABN via the Australian Business Register (ABR).
We’re able to offer custom rates to organisations or businesses doing more than $250,000 per year in card processing, in addition to some other factors. If you’re interested, contact our Sales team and let us know more about your organisation.
Learn more about activating your Square account via our Sign Up Troubleshooting article.