Square Card FAQs
Review answers to commonly asked questions about using Square Card.
How much does Square Card cost?
Square Card is free to order and has no monthly fees, minimum balance fees, overdraft fees, or any other recurring fees. Read more about Square Card.
Square’s payment processing fees fees are separate and still apply.
How do I get a Square Card?
To start using Square Card, you first need to order the card through your Square app.
To order your card, visit the Balance section in your Square app.
Can I change my business name?
If you update your business name prior to ordering your Square Card, your new, updated business name will appear on your Square Card.
If you have already ordered a Square Card and need to change your business name, you can do so if you cancel your current card and re-order a new card.
You can change your business name in your Square app:
- Open your Square app > Settings.
- Tap on Business Information.
- Under Basic Information update your Business Name to 26 characters or less.
From your online Square Dashboard on a computer:
- Navigate to Account & Settings.
- Select Business > Locations.
- Select the Location associated with your Square Card.
- Update your Business Name to be 26 characters or less.
Note. The maximum business name length the manufacturer can print on the Square Card is 26 characters.
Where can I use my Square Card?
You can spend that money with your Square Card anywhere that Mastercard® debit cards are accepted (including in-person, online, and at ATMs).
Note: Square Card doesn’t support international payment at this time.
Can I change the name on my Square Card?
The Square Card is issued to the Square account owner. While we are not able to change the name associated with your Square account, you are able to create a new Square account with the name of the person you’d like to have on the Square Card.
What happens to Transfers when I have a Square Card?
As soon as you activate your Square Card, automated transfers to a linked bank account stop. You are still able to initiate a transfer at any time with next day transfers for free or instant transfer for a fee.
Why was my Square Card declined?
Transactions can be declined for a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: insufficient funds in your Square Balance, ATM limit reached, unactivated Square Card, incorrect billing zip code or CVC, or attempted purchase with an international merchant.
How long do pending authorizations take to clear?
Some businesses (e.g. gas stations & hotels) will place a temporary charge on your payment card to ensure that your Square balance has enough funds to cover your purchase.
This pre-authorization happens the moment you use your card and will be reflected on your balance and card spend report until the merchant clears the pre-authorization. Most pending authorizations clear within 3 days, but in rare cases it can take up to 14 days to clear.
How do I dispute a charge on my Square Card?
Before you file a claim:
- Ensure the payment has posted to your account and isn’t pending or voided.
- Some merchants (e.g. gas stations) will place a temporary hold on your Square Card to authorize your purchase. This temporary hold will be higher than the actual transaction amount, typically $75 or $100. We call these transactions pending authorizations. These pending authorizations can take up to 14 days to clear.
- Contact the merchant to try and resolve your concerns. We aren’t able to pursue a claim if you haven’t attempted to resolve the issue with the merchant directly.
If you notice a transaction you didn’t make or have a question about a transaction in your history, you will need to report a claim. To do so, access our Claim Form to begin the process.
What is my Square Card billing address?
The billing address associated with your Square Card is the personal home address you provided when you signed up for a Square account. Or, if you were asked to designate a preferred billing zip code when you ordered a Square Card, the information you entered will be your Square Card billing zip code.
To verify your billing address and zip code:
- Visit the Square Point of Sale app.
- Navigate to Balance > Square Card
- Tap on Billing Address.
If your billing information changes at any time, you can update it by reordering a new Square Card.
What if I’m declined for Square Card?
Eligibility for Square Card requires verification through our banking partner. If your information is not able to be verified you won’t be able to use Square Card, but you can still take advantage of Square’s other transfer options.
Why doesn’t my Square Card have contactless?
If you ordered a Square Card prior to Feb 2019, it did not ship with contactless. In case you want a contactless Square Card, please place a new Square Card order.
Does Square Card work with peer to peer payment providers (e.g., Cash App, Venmo)?
You are not currently able to link Square Card as your debit card in peer to peer payment services.
Is Square Card FDIC insured?
Square Card does not currently offer FDIC insurance, but our team is actively working to address this coverage.
How do I deactivate my Square Card?
You can deactivate your Square Card right from the Square app. To do so:
- Tap the three horizontal lines to open your app menu.
- Select the Balance tab and choose Square Card.
- Tap Get help with card > I’d like to cancel my card.
- Select Deactivate Card.
- Tap Okay or Switch Back to Regular Transfers if you’d like to return to Square’s standard next day transfer schedule.
- You can leave feedback on the following screen and press Send, or tap X on the top left to exit the menu.
In case you need to, you can order a new card by selecting I lost my card, My card was stolen, or I never received my card.
|Read More about Getting Started with Square Card.|